Changing Salvage Title to Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV_SICK

Reaction score
one of my friends did to his EK, but i think it involves something about a lean sale and some other stuff but it is possible

1fastj30a1

Reaction score
Even if it can be changed, it's not fair to the next person who has the car. (If it gets sold..)

:ugh:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
In oregon washington and california you cannot change the status of a salvaged title. Once its given a salvage certificate, and you register it. Its listed as rebuilt or total loss reconstructed. I highly doubt its reversible, unless there are some illegal practices involved. But even then, car fax will have the record of it being a total loss.

The DMV is pretty smart about these things since a lot of scamers would sell the car at full retail when they paid only the value of a Reconstructed title.

My car is reconstructed. lol

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Like said in previous posts, title can be changed by getting it registered in another state. For example, my car had a salvage title in Maine, but when I moved to Oklahoma they asked if it had been in any accidents and I said no. Bingo - clean title. Not that I ever plan on selling the car, but clean title is always good! I'm sure a true carfax would nullify that though, but as far as title goes - it's clean.

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
if you do go to dmv just go to the one in Lincoln heights the weight is only about 30 mins. usually for no appointment. or you can just go when it opens.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
A lesson for everyone would be to do a carfax even if the title appears to be clean.

jeffpanya

Reaction score
sounds like some **** that happened to my car, my dad bought the car as a clean title, started off in new jersey or new york i dont remember, got auctioned off to a dealership and they said it was a clean title when we bought it, but when we finally paid it off it came out as a bad title...........so we got ripped off or something im still confused lol.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Even if it can be changed, it's not fair to the next person who has the car. (If it gets sold..):

Exactly

In oregon washington and california you cannot change the status of a salvaged title. Once its given a salvage certificate, and you register it. Its listed as rebuilt or total loss reconstructed. I highly doubt its reversible, unless there are some illegal practices involved. But even then, car fax will have the record of it being a total loss.

Same in New Jersey.
Once a title has a salvage on it, it is transferred with that vin number REGARDLESS of where the car is re registered.
If you go to any DMV within the U.S. and they see the "S" or "SALVAGE" on the title, by federal law they must put that on the new title. If not, they will be open to a law suit because of a fraudulent act, misrepresentation, and falsifying information.
The only thing that's allowed to be changed on a title is the name and street address of the buyer/owner and the odometer reading.

Like said in previous posts, title can be changed by getting it registered in another state. For example, my car had a salvage title in Maine, but when I moved to Oklahoma they asked if it had been in any accidents and I said no. Bingo - clean title. Not that I ever plan on selling the car, but clean title is always good! I'm sure a true carfax would nullify that though, but as far as title goes - it's clean.

Not sure how you pulled that off, but as I've stated Once a title has a salvage on it, it is transferred with that vin number REGARDLESS of where the car is re registered.
The onyl way you can NOT have a salvage or "S" notification on your title is if the vehicle was never salvaged.
There's no way around this.....Well legally anyway

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
***AND TO ADD****
My motorcycle (2004 Suzuki GSXR 600) was salvaged when I bought it and it was registered in Maryland. The kid got into an accident and insurance totaled the bike.
Now, it's much, MUCH easier for an insurance company to total a bike than a car. I don't know why since a bike is much easier to repair.
But anyway, a guy from upstate NY purchased the bike and repaired it. Got the title in his name and NY DMV put an "S" indicator on the title since it was totaled.
I gave him a deposit retrieved the bike and broke it down to the frame to make sure it wasn't bent and wasnt re welded or anything. I also checked the swingarm and it was fine. The motor only had 5K miles on it and ran nice and smooth. Once week lated I got the bike from him.
I registered the bike and got a NJ title with the letter "S" on it.
Now this has gone through 3 state DMV's and salvage is still on it.
It even says on the title....Any alteration to this document will void it

So how you (Russianred) were able to obtain a clean title I don't know.
But be careful if you choose to sell the car or trade it in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back