Changing Salvage Title to Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusTEx

Reaction score
***AND TO ADD****
My motorcycle (2004 Suzuki GSXR 600) was salvaged when I bought it and it was registered in Maryland. The kid got into an accident and insurance totaled the bike.
Now, it's much, MUCH easier for an insurance company to total a bike than a car. I don't know why since a bike is much easier to repair.
But anyway, a guy from upstate NY purchased the bike and repaired it. Got the title in his name and NY DMV put an "S" indicator on the title since it was totaled.
I gave him a deposit retrieved the bike and broke it down to the frame to make sure it wasn't bent and wasnt re welded or anything. I also checked the swingarm and it was fine. The motor only had 5K miles on it and ran nice and smooth. Once week lated I got the bike from him.
I registered the bike and got a NJ title with the letter "S" on it.
Now this has gone through 3 state DMV's and salvage is still on it.
It even says on the title....Any alteration to this document will void it[/b

Good to know. I'm the 3rd (supposedly) owner of my 2002 F4i bought as a salvaged (regrettably). It runs perfectly and bought with just 9500 miles on the odo two years ago. The guy I bought it from said the 1st owner laid it down, and the "damages to just the fairings led the insurance company to total the bike." To this day I dunno if I believe him or not. :confused:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm the 3rd (supposedly) owner of my 2002 F4i bought as a salvaged (regrettably). It runs perfectly and bought with just 9500 miles on the odo two years ago. The guy I bought it from said the 1st owner laid it down, and the "damages to just the fairings led the insurance company to total the bike." To this day I dunno if I believe him or not. :confused:

If all four fairings (Front/2 sides/ rear/tail) were damage, that's enough for an insurance company to total a bike. Fairings alone (from the factory) can run a couple of thousands depending upon the bike. That's not including painting.
Then think about the other damage....handle bars, lights, tires, wheels etc.
It's cheaper for a insurance to give you what the bike is worth instead of fixing it. Not the mention bike shops are rip offs. Many of them always overcharge for labor unless you know someone there.
As long as the frame is not bent, the bike can be fixed. It just takes time and money. If you're familiar with bikes and electrical situations, you can do it yourself. You can also find aftermarket bike parts on ebay and craigslist that will be far cheaper than factory parts.
But if the bike has been totaled by the insurance company of the original owner, there's no LEGAL around that.
Most people don't mind buying salvaged bikes because it's easier to inspect than a car.

shawna244

Reaction score
We are a salvage dealer in Tn and once a title is marked salvage or flood it always will read that. You cannot change it.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
Hope this clears up any further confusion. you can still register a salvaged vehicle under this clause... it might vary state by state but pretty much the same all around

"When the title certificate or Form MV-103 indicates the vehicle has been destroyed or damaged, you will need to take either of those documents to a local DMV office along with proof of sales tax paid or purchase price in order to title and register the vehicle.

If necessary, you'll pay the sales tax and the DMV will issue you a Form FS-6T stating that you have paid. The DMV will then need to inspect the vehicle for stolen parts before issuing you a new title. To apply for the inspection, title, and registration, compile the following paperwork (Form MV-899 has more detailed instructions about the paperwork and fees):

* Title certificate, or Form MV-103 if the title does not include the disclosure statement

* Sales tax receipt (Form FS-6T)

* Form MV-82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application)

* Form MV-899 (Application for Salvage Vehicle Examination)

* Personal check to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" for $205

Send the above to:

* Auto Theft & Salvage, DFI

* P.O. Box 2105

* Empire State Plaza

* Albany, NY 12220-0105

The DMV's Division of Investigators Auto Theft Unit will make an appointment to examine the vehicle for stolen parts. If it passes the inspection and the DMV issues a title, it will be branded as rebuilt salvage. This branding will appear on every title for the rest of the vehicle's life; New York will never issue a "clear" title for a vehicle that has been salvaged."

the price went up tho, it used to be $100

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
(was this posted already?) in texas, you can bring a vehicle into the state and not have to declare it as salvaged. consequently, lots of damaged vehicles end up there...for cheap...

...and of course, people shopping by price think they're getting a great deal on a car with a "clean title." this was from another forum so whether it's 100% The Law i don't know.

in WI, the title brands carry through the life of the car. out of state salvages remain salvages when registered.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
(was this posted already?) in texas, you can bring a vehicle into the state and not have to declare it as salvaged. consequently, lots of damaged vehicles end up there...for cheap...

...and of course, people shopping by price think they're getting a great deal on a car with a "clean title." this was from another forum so whether it's 100% The Law i don't know.

in WI, the title brands carry through the life of the car. out of state salvages remain salvages when registered.

You can purchase a salvaged vehicle.
That's not a problem.

The problem is when a person tries to re register the vehicle they must have the title changed. If the previous title has an "S" or "salvage" on it, the new title WILL have the same description on it.
The only thing that will change are the following:
1) name of new owner
2) address of new owner

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
check this out

65367777.jpg

TRENTON -- A city man Monday was sentenced to 17 years in prison for masterminding a scam to obtain fraudulent vehicle titles from the state Motor Vehicle Commission and resell them for up to $1,000 each.

Corey Tucker, 34, of Clover Street, pleaded guilty to numerous counts of conspiracy to commit official misconduct, forgery, theft deception, assuming false identities, trafficking and wrongful impersonation brought against him by both the Mercer Prosecutor's Office and the State Attorney General's Office.

Tucker admitted he fraudulently obtained numerous motor vehicle titles in the names of other people.

The crimes occurred from September 2006 to November 2007.

An investigation by the New Jersey State Police revealed that Tucker had obtained the titles with the assistance of clerks, many of them in the Special Titles Unit of the Motor Vehicle Commission.

Tucker obtained the titles through various scams, including circumventing the regular titling procedures by using a special procedure through which public agencies obtain certification of ownership for abandoned vehicles being sold at public auctions.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The whole reason a "salvage title" exists is the fact that a previously totalled car has been rebuilt, thus "salvaged". That is the whole basis for the title, it doesn't matter if you rebuilt it to a standard of a similar used car, even replaced every single thing to where it is like new. You could even build it past the standards of oem. It was still a vechical that was salvaged from a total loss. It isn't describing the current condition of your car, it is describing (and validating) the process your car went through to become legal again. Sorry for being so long winded but it seems some people arn't understanding what it actually means.

To my knowledge, there isn't any real legal way to get it off you car. Even what russianred did (sorry, i don't know how to spell your name lol), is arguably illegal. I doubt it is punishable or would actually go anywhere if someone found that he knowingly told the DMV something that is not true.

There are plenty of illegal ways to do it, people have been doing this for as long as cars have had a documented history. This is why you carfax, anything with that VIN will show a history so a clean title on a salvaged car should show up unless someone is very far deep into this stuff and most likely does this criminally for a career.

I grew up with some shady people. The easiest way to make a car "clean" is to buy a totalled car from someone without insurance for next to nothing. Then replace the vin numbers. This is why, unfortunately, you have to check more than the obvious. Always check the firewall. I don't think anyone would go to the trouble to replace it but sometimes they get filled and dissapear, hoping nobody will notice. Of course there are alot of other places (every body pannel) but nobody looks.

IcyAccord

Reaction score
nope, impossible. who ever told you that.. is a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back