5 Speed Swapped

What do you think of doing an AT to MT 5Spd Swap?

• Total voters

silverbullet99

Reaction score
the 6th gen a/t is lame, especially with the v6. they had some major problems when they first came out, thats why honda extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. if your accord has a lotta miles, you plan on keeping it for a while, and you know a good mechanic, then definitely get a 5spd. it can take as little as a weekend if you have all the parts you need. BUT if you have low miles and dont know any mechanics, id say just sell it and get one with a 5spd, or even better, an 8th gen coupe with a 6spd.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
the 6th gen a/t is lame, especially with the v6. they had some major problems when they first came out, thats why honda extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. if your accord has a lotta miles, you plan on keeping it for a while, and you know a good mechanic, then definitely get a 5spd. it can take as little as a weekend if you have all the parts you need. BUT if you have low miles and dont know any mechanics, id say just sell it and get one with a 5spd, or even better, an 8th gen coupe with a 6spd.

My car has 111,724k miles but the guy said he found a manual from a 2001 with only 18,000 miles on it. I was just going to sell the car but I found out my tranny was leaking before I posted it on craigslist. My car wouldnt go for what i want with a tranny issue and im not the kind of guy to send someone off into the sunset with a bad tranny and tell him its good. So im deciding to keep the car, The mechanic I know hes owns his own shop so i think he knows his stuff. He said a swap to manual is easy for him. All i mostly see there is honda's and acura's. He quoted me 1,500$ pluss misc. parts

silverbullet99

Reaction score
yeah i would definitely do it then. I got 151k on my accord, and my tranny also leaks, it sucks. I drove a 5spd 01 accord the other day like 5 mins after getting out of my autocraptic 99 and the difference was like night and day. It was like getting out of a civic and into an S2000 lol. Next month when I start working at the honda dealership near me I'm gunna see if I can get a good deal on a 5spd. If not, then i'll just keep driving it until it goes to hell. I wonder how many more miles I can get out of it.....

Ric Rock

Reaction score
DO IT!!!! Ever since the swap my car has been running solid plus you can save gas by coasting!!! do the swap already and never look back

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
im gonna do it after the new year to make sure i still have a job. But im sure i will, things are looking good at intel where i work. Im going to take pictures of the swap, before,during and after. I will also document anyproblems. I know there were threads about this before, but the more the better. It will push ppl to get rid of their autotragic. Right now im driving my 87 nissan p/u 5speed. Sucks but thats the price we pay lol.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Definitely worth the time & money, but the best thing is to buy a 5-MT from the start :hihi:

HondaLuver, good thing you're getting a good deal! I bet you're happy as a pig in sh*t! :D

Last edited:

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
I will say go for it! I just did mine myself(had help lifting tranny) and the car is more fun to drive than the "put in gear and go" auto. Luckily I bought a whole wrecked 4 door for $700! Competition clutch kit for about $180, ecm reprogram for about $85, and various fluids and items here and there. After selling auto tranny and body parts I've made almost all money back. Take the time and search for whole wrecked cars. Found mine on Craigslist with 132,000 miles hit in the side. It makes it so much easier to pull from one car and bolt directly onto another instead of having to get parts, wait, etc. I still have to figure how to get reverse lights and cruise control working tho. Thanks and props to all who donated their info on this!

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I will say go for it! I just did mine myself(had help lifting tranny) and the car is more fun to drive than the "put in gear and go" auto. Luckily I bought a whole wrecked 4 door for $700! Competition clutch kit for about $180, ecm reprogram for about $85, and various fluids and items here and there. After selling auto tranny and body parts I've made almost all money back. Take the time and search for whole wrecked cars. Found mine on Craigslist with 132,000 miles hit in the side. It makes it so much easier to pull from one car and bolt directly onto another instead of having to get parts, wait, etc. I still have to figure how to get reverse lights and cruise control working tho. Thanks and props to all who donated their info on this!

:goyou: You bumped a three year old thread for a poll? :lock:

Back