Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Also RedRyder, I think that picture could help quite a few members who are in on this thread. Would you mind posting it up and how you got to it exactly?

I will definitely post pics of my old relay, probably Saturday. :thumbsup:

As for getting to it, I had tried a couple times but at that time I did not know about the internal release clip (Haynes makes no mention of replacing this relay). I had also put off getting a new one installed and my car was barely starting at all anymore, so I just wanted to get it done asap since I had a trip coming up - hence why I had the dealer do it. But remove the lower dash piece to save yourself some trouble. The relay is up and to the left of the steering column.

Btw depending on your VIN, your old one will most likely be SIEMENS, and the new one you get will be something else. But the new ones have better solder points so they won't crack like the old ones. (the cracking is due to the heat, then when your car sits the solders cool and realign, thus reestablishing the connection for the current)

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
I will definitely post pics of my old relay, probably Saturday. :thumbsup:

As for getting to it, I had tried a couple times but at that time I did not know about the internal release clip (Haynes makes no mention of replacing this relay). I had also put off getting a new one installed and my car was barely starting at all anymore, so I just wanted to get it done asap since I had a trip coming up - hence why I had the dealer do it. But remove the lower dash piece to save yourself some trouble. The relay is up and to the left of the steering column.

Btw depending on your VIN, your old one will most likely be SIEMENS, and the new one you get will be something else. But the new ones have better solder points so they won't crack like the old ones. (the cracking is due to the heat, then when your car sits the solders cool and realign, thus reestablishing the connection for the current)

Oh okay, I didn't know you had the dealer do it. I will continue looking for a DIY for replacing the MAIN RELAY (not the Ignition Switch) <- Just to clarify for people coming into this thread.

finch13

Reaction score
Hold on... looking up the instructions quick.

86111409.gif

Should be able to unplug it and plug a new one in.

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
Ah thank you for that diagram Finch. To access that point, I assume I am going to have to go in through the bottom?

finch13

Reaction score
The lower dash panel is cake to get off, you have to remove the upper trim panel from the center console cubby thing all the way in the front. 1 screw there (black), 2 screws (gold) under the fuse panel cover and it should pop off.

pattywak

Reaction score
The lower dash panel is cake to get off, you have to remove the upper trim panel from the center console cubby thing all the way in the front. 1 screw there (black), 2 screws (gold) under the fuse panel cover and it should pop off.

Thank you for this information man. This helps me out a lot. Should I get the main relay from honda or is one from a parts store alright?

Addy99EX

Reaction score
RedRyder has everything dead on regarding the main relay problem. It's worth a shot to fix the main relay first.

Replacing the main relay will require some small hands because it's lodged towards the top of the driver side fuse box. Before I replaced my main relay, I noticed the car only had trouble starting only in the summer months. The engine would crank but the car won't start. During winter, my car always started with no problems; even between short trips. The reason why most main relays tend to fail in warmer months because the electrical connections wear down over time. For some reason, the colder months will cause the connections between the main relay and the dash to be "tighter" and connect better (excuse the lame description)

If your car is turning off on you because it feels like the car is "choking" for air, it's most likely the IACV. My 99 is having idle problems and but I haven't been able to clean it yet. I think if anyone has an accord over 150k miles, you should be aware of these problems by now; I just hope no one was stranded with these issues.

pattywak

Reaction score
Would the best part to get the Main Relay be the Honda Dealership? Or would one from a parts store such as Advance Auto be just as good.

Edit: Is this the right part that I need?

Last edited:

rvangj

Reaction score
Fix the old relay yourself. Pull the cover off just remelt the solder were you see cracks.

Back