Immediate Concern - Strange blinkers, fogs, and sidemarkers function...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
saw something today that got me pretty worried. I got sidemarkers hooked up JDM style, so they stay on, and blink with turn signals. Also, civic fogs on a switch.

When I press my alarm, my parking lights, corners, and sidemarkers blink. If fog switch is on, those blink too.

Today, when i locked up my car at night, i pressed the security, and noticed that the passenger side of my car didn't light up at all, and neither did my fogs (switch was in on position). First I thought my LED died - then I saw that corner, parking light LED, sidemarkers (all on passenger side) and both fogs didn't blink. Driver side components blinked.

I turned the car on, and turned the lights on. Now the reverse effect occurs - passenger side components work properly, but now driver side is all dead.

I try to activate all at lights to blink at once (fogs don't blink) by turning on hazard lights. Sidemarker and blinker on driver side now blinks, but does not "work" meaning it is still dead if it's not blinking.

I turn car off again, and behold, our original effect occurs where passenger side is all dead.

WTF could have happened! What is causing this! :eekwtf: And it continues to do this, switching depending on whether the car is on or off.

Please help me out and shoot some ideas.

-Nikita

Last edited:

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
bad connection somewhere....most likely a ground come loose...so if you did the wirin yourself you should know exactly where to look...

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well I didn't ground the sidemarkers, just tapped into the corner lights (blinkers). So you think it has to do with the fog light grounds or wiring?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
im still thinkin it's a loose wire...and the sidemarkers are grounded...you just spliced into the ground wire for the cornerlights...so it's grounded indirectly...just double check those connections....

iHazSnail

Reaction score
its never a good idea to tap wires. I know because i did the same thing and ended up with the only mess of wires under the dash to where NO shop wants to even touch it.
Took it upon myself to clean up today and now having all sorts of electrical problems.
Learn from my mistakes and ground them separately so in the long run when you look back at it, you know whats going on

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
its never a good idea to tap wires. I know because i did the same thing and ended up with the only mess of wires under the dash to where NO shop wants to even touch it.
Took it upon myself to clean up today and now having all sorts of electrical problems.
Learn from my mistakes and ground them separately so in the long run when you look back at it, you know whats going on

qft.

i dont mind about splicing so much, but just keep everything clean and such so if something does go wrong, you know where it is and how to fix it very easily.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I did a very clean wiring job on both the sidemarkers (spliced into blinkers according to JDM_Dynazty's wiring diagram) and the fogs (he helped me in person and we grounded it all properly etc).

One thing he did do, was connect the ground from each fog into one big ground, so as to have one grounding point. Do you think that would make a difference? Should I have grounded each fog separately instead of consolidating the two grounds into one single wire? When connecting the one ground to the chassis, I made sure to ground it to a well exposed metal area, without any paint.

What do you guys think about this.

I'm going to recheck my wiring tomorrow, since we are almost finished moving, and will also check the fog wiring for JohnnyDinh at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back