Horrible Gas Mileage

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an 02 v6 with an aem cold air cleaned the tb and used chevron. With shell mid grade i can get about 300 to 360. at one point i got 15 mpg. One time i got 250 miles to half a tank. these accords are confusing. I'm gonna get even worse once i get my racing headers installed

This shows an unsteady driving habit. Sometimes your conservative, sometimes your not. The headers should have almost no effect on your gas mileage. Also, I don't know why you're filling up with mid grade unless your car knocks or pings. Just use 87.

My accord IL4 has a rebuilt trans, short ram, header, catback, no cat, ported TB, ported/match IM, and port matched/milled head. The only time my gas mileage goes way down is if I WOT it all the time. If I roll into the throttle when its in its powerband, it doesnt change much.

Last edited:

Zero-Defect

Reaction score
Sometimes my mileage sucks too, but sometimes its awesome. I've gone 412 miles on a tank before. Another time I got 29.6 mpg. Buuuttttt mpg can suck horribly, like when I got 18.2 mpg. It all depends on your driving, the car, etc.

paypalbid

Reaction score
for the people that get 400+ miles per tank... I have some questions:

1. Is this on a consistent base ?
2. Describe your commute to work, school, ect. (how far away, how much freeway driving?)
3. Are you topping your gas tank at fill up ?

Accord281

Reaction score
got 500 miles out of most of a tank, which averaged out to 29 mpg. And I have a V6!!!!! Ha ha!

tunerbum147

Reaction score
i normally get around 25 mpg.
i have an 01 sedan ULEV i4.
got intake and headers and exhaust and ngk plus with msd wires. they say that stuff should increase fuel millage. dont really WOT much but not granny drive either.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

2. Describe your commute to work, school, ect. (how far away, how much freeway driving?)

1 - Yup, goes down slightly in winter b/c of fuel grade, extreme cold, etc.

2. - It's all hills around me, I do a lot of coasting, just enough gas to get around corners, etc. About 10-15miles. Mostly highway now, before was all backroads and about 5min on the highway.

3. - Yup.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
so what about the people who say that its bad to let your tank go under a 1/4 full or even 1/2 full? anyone tried a "back to back"?

i get like 23 averaged...gas light usually on lol...semi-heavy foot due to transmission slipping a little and i like 2nd gear...90% city/10 highway...and the "highway" means i dont normally go over 50 cause its a 40mph road :lawl:

boshi

Reaction score
I just seafoamed my car today
and I;m getting the check engine light?
Has anyone gotten this problem before?

finch13

Reaction score
^^ You mean J30.

No, I mean the J35 in our MDX gets 23-26 mpg consistently and it's larger displacement/heavier vehicle around 100k miles. I meant it to mean the J30 guys should be getting close to that, if not more.

1 - Yes, I get 450-500 miles to the tank regularly.
2 - Mostly city driving with maybe 3 or 4 30-40 mile roundtrip commutes to the suburbs a week.
3 - I usually hand up the nozzle when the pump stops itself, unless it's really cheap, then I fill that bish up to the brim.

so what about the people who say that its bad to let your tank go under a 1/4 full or even 1/2 full? anyone tried a "back to back"?

What do you mean by back to back? I usually run my tank to E or lower. MY gas gauge isn't funky either, I get around 250 the first half and about the same the second half.

Back