Holy expensive? Timing Belt Quote

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
yeah, I should find a picture of what my belt looked like when I got it taken off at like 103k miles haha. It wasn't pretty... and it's not worth the risk to put it off if you can afford to get it done.

... okay uploaded pics of my belts after they were replaced. holes = not good

picture.php

picture.php

NASOHC

Reaction score
yeah, I should find a picture of what my belt looked like when I got it taken off at like 103k miles haha. It wasn't pretty... and it's not worth the risk to put it off if you can afford to get it done.

... okay uploaded pics of my belts after they were replaced. holes = not good

Wow.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Man, we can't rely on our timing belt for 100k on 6th gens? I got to keep some money aside. I may be dumb and do it myself lol.

But yeah, the dealer charges a pretty insane amount per hour compared to the average shop, I think it is usually about $120/hr. Plus, they want you to do the water pump and anything else that is easy to get to. I mean you should do it but many local shops won't if you don't ask which saves a bit of money.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Man, we can't rely on our timing belt for 100k on 6th gens? I got to keep some money aside. I may be dumb and do it myself lol.

But yeah, the dealer charges a pretty insane amount per hour compared to the average shop, I think it is usually about $120/hr. Plus, they want you to do the water pump and anything else that is easy to get to. I mean you should do it but many local shops won't if you don't ask which saves a bit of money.
Only reason they want you to change the water pump during that time is because it's so easily accessible with the timing belt off especially on v6's. I've heard of a lot of people just doing the timing belt though and pushing 200k.

ReggieReGGCG2

Reaction score
they quoted me 1100 when i went to pick up some ball joints the other day :sad: guess im going to buy the oem parts and let my mech. do it for way less

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting mine replaced at a local shop in San Diego within the next 30days. I will be providing the shop the OEM parts. Here is the breakdown of the estimate I received for my 2002 Honda Accord 4cyl.

"Provided your timing-belt kit contains the following O.E. parts: Timing belt, Balancer-Shaft belt, Water Pump, Cam and or Crankshaft Seals, a Balancer Shaft Seal Retainer (a retrofit part that prevents the balancer shaft seal from popping out), Air Conditioner, Power Steering and Alternator Drive Belts and 1 gallon of coolant, the total labor to replace all would be: $382.50 and a hazmat/materials charge of $5.00 for a total of $387.50.
Being the second belt and assuming the cam and crankshaft seals were not replaced with the first belt, I would recommend replacing them. We do not charge additional labor to replace them and they run about $5 to $10.00 each."

and here is the list of OEM part # I will be providing:

- TIMING BELT (oem # 14400-PAA-A02)
- WATER PUMP (oem #19200-P0A-003)
- BALANCE SHAFT BELT (oem # 13405-PAA-A03)
- A/C COMPRESSOR BELT (oem # 38920-PAA-A01)
- P/S PUMP BELT (oem # 56992-PAA-A01)
- CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL (oem # 91213-PT0-003)
- CRANK OIL SEAL (oem # 91212-PAA-A01)
- BALANCE SHAFT OIL SEAL (oem # 91233-PT0-003)
- OIL DRIVE GEAR SEAL (oem # 15114-PT0-003)
-gallon of OEM honda coolant.

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Only reason they want you to change the water pump during that time is because it's so easily accessible with the timing belt off especially on v6's. I've heard of a lot of people just doing the timing belt though and pushing 200k.

Oh, I always do it when I do my timing belt. And vice versa, I did my timing belt after my water pump went out on my talon. I think everyone should, but sometimes the local shops look even cheaper than they really are because if you don't ask, they will only do the timing belt and nothing else where the dealer strongly encourages you to do your water pump, all your other belts, and uses all oem parts and fluids as well.

00Silvy

Reaction score
My local shop will do Timing belt/Waterpump with seals/retainers for $750. I will be doing this before the end of summer.

9450erick

Reaction score
can u check the timing belt by taking off the cam gear cover off then starting the motor and run ur fingers through it to check for cracks or would that be bad
dont have a grand or even 1/2 a grand right now to change the timing belt and getting close to 100k nd the car has been sitting for like 3 years so everything is kind of old.
if there are no cracks do i really have to change it
_MG_0885.jpg

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
can u check the timing belt by taking off the cam gear cover off then starting the motor and run ur fingers through it to check for cracks or would that be bad
_MG_0885.jpg

That is only good for reassuring yourself that it is time to do it. Your belt can look fine and give. Basically, don't take your cover off at 150k and see that it looks good and assume it will hold. I understand what you are saying but don't let a belt that appears to be good fool you if it is that time.

Back