starts and dies and s/b 00-024 hot soak

cl206

Reaction score
Alright after 30k miles and 4+ years, my car just exhibited the symptom again today. I am at 154xxx miles and I will definitely not get a new PCM. The only other thing I changed at the time was the FPR (it was in a kit with the new FPR) and it definitely worked. Now I am thinking it might be the FPR wearing out or not being able to maintain the pressure that it used to. It looks pretty easy to change that and I will wait a few more months and see what is going on before maybe diying just the new FPR.

BTW it looked like this time the car sat for 15 minutes after a hot run before the shutdown. When I tested it at 18 minutes, it was good. Need to pinpoint it more I guess.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
at this point your best tools are an IR sensor, a fuel pressure gauge with a 'drain' valve, and a pop bottle.

aznromeo4u

Reaction score
This is the best thread on this subject across the internet

I have done a lot of parts replacement and clean up. Only thing left is FPR and the PCM. But now that I read what cl206 posted I am about to give up. This sucks man. This is the worst car to have ever.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
aight, well the HF tool needed a few mods ;)

no drain valve...and the Honda adapter did not come with it, so I made a valve, and ordered an adapter ;)

so until I get that adapter, I'm measuring fuel regulator temp with an IR gauge...

SO start off, I took it for a drive, got home, rev'd it to 3kRPM until the fan ran, then killed it.

First temp check-117.3* (immediate)
Wait 5 min, temp check-124.5*, starts OK
5 min more, temp check-133.1*, starts OK

I have NO idea what the boiling point of gas is, 80*-400* :doh: I just want to see this get up around 150*, I really need this adapter, I want to see it boil.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
128.6* :( dropping, starts fine :(
really need the tool and maybe it was leaving the hood up :doh:

Lol, I'm a sad guy because my Honda starts :p

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Maybe you just have to wait until summer for this when temps get hotter? That's when this happens to me most frequently. I'm in an inland area of SoCal (2hrs east of LA), so temps for me are about 15 degrees warmer than they are in and around LA during the summer months.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I guess so, now I'm kinda wondering about my engine covers...as long as they have been off, I've never had a problem :/

COME ON CAR! YOU ALWAYS RUN CORRECT NOW!!! Oh, yeah, it's a Honda :D

still waiting on the fuel pressure adapter, anyway. Might be here today.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Aight!!! All installed!

But now...I have no need for a test, lol...

I'm pushing 35psi!!! Explains why this is a problem now! Spec is what, like ~45psi, so even IF my gauge is being normal H-F junk, I'm STILL low!

Stock has a ~10% correction to fuel trim, so it's (mostly) fine now, it should be fine if I 'bump' it the other way, I think, so...next hack coming!

Back