98 LX auto whines in park and drive

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Ok fellas, ive got an automatic lx 4 cylinder

I feel there is something seriously damaged that this car is whining. I stopped driving the car because I dont want to mess anything up more than i already might have.

P/s fluid is all there and i dont see any leaks.

Here is a video of the whine.
https://youtu.be/Uzj7JIxw1Q8

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Has it gradually gotten worse, or did it just appear out of nowhere one day? Since it is audible when the car is running in P, I would open the hood and maybe even use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen for where it is coming from. Maybe start with checking the alternator, pulleys, belts, and go from there.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
I do feel as if it started to get worse over time just anything else that you put off fixing. I tried the screwdriver handle but that didnt work since the noise emanates from about everything i touched. I am defintely leaning towards the alternator since this seems to be a common honda issue. Im going to buy a stethoscope and try listening with that. I guess its a handy tool to add to my collection. I will be back with an update.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Cheap tool too. You can also pull gently on the throttle cable a little under the hood if that helps get the sound to be more pronounced. Good luck.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
You can also use a long handle screwdriver just place the tip on to a stationary part of the p/s pump or alternator and listen through the handle. Sounds dumb but it works, also trt turning your ac on and off and see if the whine quites down. I had a rdx in the shop for the same issue but it was the ac pulley causing it. But a stethoscope will be more reliable and be aware you will hear noise in all of the pulleys just listen for where it is the loudest and use the long handle screwdriver to feel for vibration again where you get the most vibration. Good luck it can be a pain to track it down.

Last edited:

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Okay guys here is my update. I went to autozone and bought a stethoscope. It was only 10 bucks but wow is it really crappy. The ear phones barely fit in my ear, are made of hard non comforming rubber and just generally really a crappy quality product. I would recommend going to advance auto and getting the Lisle stethoscope for $20.

Anyway I lightly pressed the throttle lever and put the stethoscope to the alternator, p/s pump, a/c compressor, and tb covers. I heard the whine from everything but it was definitely the loudest from the alternator!!!

I havent had any power related issues with the car but since the alternator whines, what could be the issue?

Is my alternator going to die on me all of a sudden? Can i do anything to quiet the noise while keeping my alternator? Finally, what do you guys recommend for a replacement? Rebuilt or aftermarket?

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Usually its the pulley or the shaft that is causing the noise. You will have to replace it to rid the noise. Not sure if it will fail cause only times ive dealt with it the part was replaced. Not sure on what brand to recommend but any you get from a autoparts store will be remanufactured so make sure you turn your old one in to get your core charge back.

Last edited:

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Just go grab a cheap alt from a wrecker put it in if the noise is gone done deal! If not at least you can return it for credit and get something else.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
So I did what you recommend. Got a shiny alternator from pull a part. I swapped it with my noisy and alternator and now I hear less noise. I would say the whining is 50% quieter. Its better than nothing and for $20 I'll take it.

Is there anything i can do to my old alternator to fix the noise?

Back