Car shifts WAY past redline!!! Rebuilt tranny

1999EX

Reaction score
It could be a odometer issue. Are you certain the car has 200k? since our mileage isn't stored on the cars computer but instead its stored on every cluster.

Carfax had vehicle 9 months ago at 187k on it's last emissions test. It was one owner until then. After that the car got jacked with... The guy I bought it from swapped the gauge cluster and now shows 161k. It is probably somewhere in the 190k range.

And it's the V6.

1999EX

Reaction score
Also to clarify, the guy I bought it from bought it from someone else... he never transferred the title to his name (this is my guess). As the title was signed off and it was his "wife's car" so i think the 2nd owner didn't drive it much and sold it because of the tranny being shot. The guy I bought it from jacked with it and got the tranny to be OK so he could sell it for profit.... Obviously I got screwed!

Regardless I plan on keeping the car now, it really does run really well. Just need to figure out this shift thing.

JetLife

Reaction score
187K + 161K = 348K not 190:bash:

well the tranny problem is expected with our car

1999EX

Reaction score
187K + 161K = 348K not 190:bash:

well the tranny problem is expected with our car

The gauge cluster in it now was not driven from zero, it was put in from another vehicle. I guarantee the car was not driven 161k in 9 months on a shot transmission :)

This is a major issue in Denver, a lot of cars for sale have the guage clusters swapped with lower mileage clusters. This keeps the titles clean as mileage is not recorded on the title after 10 years. Only shows up on Carfax.

Of course I wish I would of researched that before I bought the car :)

JetLife

Reaction score
The gauge cluster in it now was not driven from zero, it was put in from another vehicle. I guarantee the car was not driven 161k in 9 months on a shot transmission :)

This is a major issue in Denver, a lot of cars for sale have the guage clusters swapped with lower mileage clusters. This keeps the titles clean as mileage is not recorded on the title after 10 years. Only shows up on Carfax.

Of course I wish I would of researched that before I bought the car :)

hmmmm true. well that unfortunate that, thats a problem. honestly i didnt even kno that you could do that. i was under the assumption that the mileage was save on the cars computer..

learn something new everyday:hihi:

1999EX

Reaction score
Yeah MAJOR flaw by Honda they are stored on the cluster... I swear every single one around here for sale has 120k... I bet a lot of them had the same thing done to them.

JetLife

Reaction score
no doubt, hmm idk man alot of ppl on here have pretty low mileage, well around ~80k- ~120k +
im rollin @ 146,xxx now

Back