Misfire on cyl1 & cyl5

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Me too, don't even need tools, lol.

I was on vacation, on a Sunday, misfire came at the hotel, no code reader, so I went straight to advance auto parts store. Pop the hood, pull coil wire connectors one at a time. I find cyl #2 is missing, so I swap with #1, now cyl #1 is missing. So I get a coilpack, and replace it, so it runs fine.

No tools at all, just brain, diag'd and fixed a problem in 10 minutes (but there was a line at the register, so 8min when I was working)

I think at the dealer we charge 1 hour, at $99/hr, plus the coil...

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I think I pulled the low voltage connectors, I know you can also pop them up, disconnect them from the plug. Same effect, plus you get a !CRACK! noise, from the spark finding gnd w/o the plug, so you know it works. A !CRACk! w/o pulling it, is dead insulation.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
oh, yeah, lol, DO NOT pull the plugs with the engine running! Coilpacks are fine to yank, but NOT PLUGS!!!

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Well, I found the cause of the problem. I'm not sure how it happened though. Basically, oil is in the spark plug tube. These are cylinders 5 & 6, so it makes me think that all 6 cylinder tops are like this.

20150202_155742.jpg

Yes, that is oil in the spark plug tube. The coil packs were filled so much so that it must have been making contact with the spark plug's nib up top causing the misfire.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yup. Valve cover gaskets, but you can get them clean probly before you do them. Fairly frequently. I'd use brake cleaner, lol. I'm surprised I haven't needed gaskets yet, I'm used to valve adjustments and a new gasket all the time.

james'99

Reaction score
Good that it ended up being something like this. Glad you came to a quick diagnosis.

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Yup. Valve cover gaskets, but you can get them clean probly before you do them. Fairly frequently. I'd use brake cleaner, lol. I'm surprised I haven't needed gaskets yet, I'm used to valve adjustments and a new gasket all the time.

VCs or the spark plug tube gasket? I changel these out last June. looks like improper installation on my part. Better buy new ones then.

Good that it ended up being something like this. Glad you came to a quick diagnosis.

Cylinders 1 & 5 are on opposite sides of each other. Cylinder 1 is rear of engine on passenger side. Cylinder 5 is front middle.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
what are we using?

msd-ignitions-most-common-firing-orders.jpg

I thought Honda used Chevy type.

Usually a valve cover gasket includes spark plug tube seals, you made need one though. It may tear, IDK.

For brand, whatever you had may not have worked. Honda parts apparently work well on this, 220k miles, no leaks. I'd just use those for the risk. My old Honda D's got a aftermarket, cause who cares when you pull the cover & swap it to adjust the valves every 20k?

see:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

james'99

Reaction score
VCs or the spark plug tube gasket? I changel these out last June. looks like improper installation on my part. Better buy new ones then.

Cylinders 1 & 5 are on opposite sides of each other. Cylinder 1 is rear of engine on passenger side. Cylinder 5 is front middle.

Yeah, I edited the previous post. I think the J35 is setup that 135 are across the back and 246 accross the front and I got mixed up. I have a 4 cyl.

If the engine is setup that

The firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6

Last edited:
Back