Car fell of jack as it broke, now there is a strange smell??

Silver99

Reaction score
I was using my stock scissor jack to jack up my car to put jack stands under it so I could do the last coilover. Then, the jack makes a loud snap and the car slid to the side. I had to beat the jack with a hammer to get it out. My issue is, after the car fell, it has had a strange odor. The jack hit the side skirt and some standard metal. What is going on? I was using the designated jacking point

james'99

Reaction score
If there is no fluid and or exhaust leak, see if the smell subsides. Start the car. Let it run for a few moments. Re-Inspect and drive it around the block if you deem it safe.

Silver99

Reaction score
If there is no fluid and or exhaust leak, see if the smell subsides. Start the car. Let it run for a few moments. Re-Inspect and drive it around the block if you deem it safe.

I waited 30 some minutes and there is no fluid leak and the smell has subsided for now. I will most likely move the vehicle tomorrow.

guytv

Reaction score
Is the jack regulated to hold a lot of weight? because lowering the car means lowering the center of gravity, which means it is going to be a lot heavier on the jack. But I am thinking the car should be fine as long as there is no fluid leaking out or anything damage.

twofast4u

Reaction score
maybe it hit the oil pan or the fuel vapor thing. if oil is dripping on the exhaust then burning off, that would cause a smell..

Silver99

Reaction score
Is the jack regulated to hold a lot of weight? because lowering the car means lowering the center of gravity, which means it is going to be a lot heavier on the jack. But I am thinking the car should be fine as long as there is no fluid leaking out or anything damage.
It was the normal trunk jack. It only hit the side skirt and the metal beneath it

Silver99

Reaction score
maybe it hit the oil pan or the fuel vapor thing. if oil is dripping on the exhaust then burning off, that would cause a smell..
The jack was on the designated jacking point in the rear of the vehicle on the drivers side. I think that at this point the car is fine, just worried me when it happened

Back