Changing Clutch, Can't Get Transmission Out

danw77

Reaction score
I'm about 5 hours into replacing my clutch and I can't figure out how to get enough clearance to drop the transmission out. Do I need to remove the entire front subframe? I was using a set of instructions from another forum... they're for a 97 which they said was the same as my 2001, but I'm finding out that they are in fact very different... at least when it comes to the subframe. :throw:

If I have to remove the subframe, how do I do it? I just watched the video posted elsewhere on this site, and it looks like it might be possible to change the clutch without dropping the trans. I had wanted to replace the flywheel and rear main seal while I'm in there... not sure if there's room to do that by just sliding the trans to the right.

Please help ASAP... need to get this done tomorrow so I can go to work the next day.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To remove the front half of the subframe:

6 short bolts that connect the front half to the rear half

2 long bolts at the front

2 radius rods that connect subframe to control arms

These should help

danw77

Reaction score
OK, thanks... I got the subframe off but I can't get the transmission separated from the engine. Does anyone have a diagram that shows the location of the bolts? I got all the ones I can find but its still hung up... feels like I missed a bolt on the back side of the engine/transmission... the front is loose.

danw77

Reaction score
IMG_20131130_121459854_zpsfc7a2be2.jpg
[/URL]

I got these off... can't find any others.

Last edited:
Back