Need Advice for F23A4 Turbo Options

bluelights81

Reaction score
Hey all. New to this particular site, as honda-tech.com is more geared towards civic owners. Own a 2000 EX coupe, 5 speed, with 183K miles on it. Have owned the car for 12 years since it had 50K. I live in NH, the car's always been stored in winter and has meticulously maintained for. As of right now, I only have bolt on upgrades, which essentially don't do much. I've been really thinking about a mild turbo application, just enough for a little more punch. Doing my best on reading up on them and research.

Considering you all are 6th gen owners and are familiar with the engine, my question(s) is this. I know rebuilding internals are the best way to go, however with a mild boost application (i.e. under 8-10 psi), would the stock motor take it? Also would a performance clutch be a necessity or would the stock clutch take it? Would I still need injectors or just an upgraded fuel pump?

Also as I said, I live in NH where there is emissions testing with inspection every year. With such a mild application, would tuning be needed? And if so, is there any systems that work with OBDII seeing as that's what's needed to pass emissions up here. Swapping to an OBDI is out of the questions, because that's not what that year of car calls for and would be an automatic failure, as well as a CEL on.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

chaby_91

Reaction score
I know rebuilding internals are the best way to go, however with a mild boost application (i.e. under 8-10 psi), would the stock motor take it?

The engine will hold for a while, but it depends on the turbo size and how you treat the engine.

Also would a performance clutch be a necessity or would the stock clutch take it? Would I still need injectors or just an upgraded fuel pump?

with 8-10 psi you will need all of these upgrades^

Also as I said, I live in NH where there is emissions testing with inspection every year. With such a mild application, would tuning be needed? And if so, is there any systems that work with OBDII seeing as that's what's needed to pass emissions up here.

Tuning is essential. Different tunes will allow you to pass emissions or not. You wont pass emissions with OBD1, but performance tuning is easier. There is one EMS made by AEM that's OBD2 plug and play. I don't know how your emissions testing works though.

Swapping to an OBDI is out of the questions, because that's not what that year of car calls for and would be an automatic failure, as well as a CEL on.

Then go with the AEM OBD2 EMS. Only works with M/T. Don't boost if auto

Learn to use the search engine. This subject has been discussed many times and there are plenty of threads and info available.

Last edited:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the A4 the ULEV? If that's the case, I wouldn't bother boosting that engine at all. Also, search will be your friend here, but as far as boosting, it's always good to upgrade anything and everything, because as you add boost, you also add additional stress to your factory components that weren't designed for those extra levels of stress.

chaby_91

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the A4 the ULEV? If that's the case, I wouldn't bother boosting that engine at all. Also, search will be your friend here, but as far as boosting, it's always good to upgrade anything and everything, because as you add boost, you also add additional stress to your factory components that weren't designed for those extra levels of stress.

please explain why

danmccormick87

Reaction score
ULEV is for lower emissions, and the ECU is different. Trying to boost this and piggybacking this system would be a waste and a PITA, as it's designed to be GREEN, specifically for stricter California emissions. Not saying it's not possible, but it isn't worth it IMO.

cmgreensr

Reaction score
Isn't piggybacking the only way to pass a plug in obd2 test? Any stand alone is an automatic fail in most states because it can't communicate. At least that's how it works in my state which has rendered almost any swap futile. Anything short of having a usdm obd2 ecu plugged in is an automatic fail.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Isn't piggybacking the only way to pass a plug in obd2 test? Any stand alone is an automatic fail in most states because it can't communicate. At least that's how it works in my state which has rendered almost any swap futile. Anything short of having a usdm obd2 ecu plugged in is an automatic fail.

^This :beer:

cmgreensr

Reaction score
fair enough. no such tests in Qc

Not your fault, with the lack of one standard inspection, it gets confusing. For some, they simply swap any engine or boost away and go obd1 and tune their hearts out but when we ask what ecu will stay obd2 compliant, the fast answer is jumper harness. Loosing the 1 after f23a is the biggest jdm swap we can pull off! I have searched for ways to pull it off. The days of paying "the man" are gone. Even our inspection stickers come printed with our license plate # on them now so no fake stickers even. It's a no win.

Back