Bad speaker ground/HU in protect mode

danmccormick87

Reaction score
The issue is in the speaker. The voice coil has heated up repeatedly over time and the epoxy that holds it tight is beginning to fail allowing the wire to uncoil and as you increase the volume it moves and eventually shorts out. Replace the rear speakers (I would recommend the pair) and everything will be fine. If you hook up a meter to the speaker it will show somewhere around 4.6 ohms but should go to 0 at some point if you move the cone by hand.

You know, I totally failed to think about this. He is correct, and if you want to test it, switch your speakers around (leave your bad speaker out completely) and crank it up. If everything works, then your speaker is the cause. Great insight Lashlee, something that is quite often overlooked.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you guys for your input, I truly appreciate it as a young audiophile-in-training lol. It has been pouring non-stop out here since I last posted, so I haven't had time to test the speaker itself yet. Will get on this ASAP and report back with my findings.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Ok, so it WAS the speaker! Spoke to the local Kenwood repair center and they're going to replace it/them(?) for me... once again, thanks to all who responded!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Clip the tweeters on those, you don''t want treble in the back anyway, though the woofer might be dead.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Clip the tweeters on those, you don''t want treble in the back anyway, though the woofer might be dead.

Agreed!!! I have Kicker 6X9s right now, and I hate them because of how much treble is in the back. Glad to see you isolated the issue and are fixing it :beer:

Back