speedometer is broken! Help!

sleeper4bngr

Reaction score
Well this morning I was on my way to work when the speedometer guage fell to 0 all of a sudden. Like 10 seconds later it jumped back up to the correct speed, and then immediately fell back down again to 0 but this time the CEL came on and it has been like that since. Cruise Control doesn't work. The other guages all work fine. I have researched this problem and came to the conclusion that is either a fuse, the cable connecting the speedo to transmition, a sensor, or the gauge pod itself. Are there any other problems that it could be. Also I am in no way going to do the work myself so about how much do you think it will cost? On a last note I also want to recharge my A/c, how much should that run me? Thanx!
-Phil

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Are you 12 years old? Have you never touched a car before? This will most likely be a very easy fix, granted you do it yourself. Take it somewhere, and watch the diagnostic fees skyrocket as they guess and check at their leisure and at the expense of your back pocket.

Buy a Haynes and get to work.

demon5spd

Reaction score
It's most likely one of two things and this will be a very easy thing to fix.

First it's not going to be a fuse since the fuse that powers the speedo also powers the other gauges in the cluster it's a 15 amp gauge fuse.

But since the other gauges work it wouldn't be a fuse.

One thing that it could be is the speedo it's self but since the cel came on would not go with it being a speedo problem since the speedo going out will not trip the cel.

Now for what i think it is, i'm not sure what the cel is but if you get it ck i'm sure it will be a (VSS) vehicle speed sensor inop code.

Just ck the connector to make sure it's connected and not loose and then i would replace the sensor if the connector is not loose.

Oh and the vss is on the passenger side of the trans, on the top of the trans almost right under the throttle body, there will be 1 bolt holding it in place.

Well hope that helps man.

Back