tranny popping out of gear?

781_CG6

Reaction score
i was driving last night with cruise control on at 60mph then out of nowhere it feels like it just popped out of gear and it revved to around 6k then it went back into gear and dropped back to the usual 2k'ish range. after that incident i pulled over on the nearest exit and while driving off the exit it feels like it keeps popping in and out of gears, in a jerking motion like im slamming my brakes. it kept doing that til i got home, luckily i was about a mile away from home. i have a automatic 4 cylinder... and i think its a bit late to even save my tranny a bit. any ideas? im gonna do a drain and fill with the tranny fluid, but idk if i should check anything else that would give these symptoms? i drive it again today, it felt fine. it has happened 2 times this week so far, usually in cold conditions early in the morning or late at night.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Your transmission is cooked, either A) buy a reman. unit or B) 5spd swap it. There is really nothing left in the tranny I'd park it unless you want to get straded somewhere. GL

metrick1235

Reaction score
mine did the same on my way home from Charlotte.... my tranny was fried.. What i was told was when the tranny does the jumping thing its called limp gear so you can get it off the road..I got the car home.. then had to get it rebuilt for $1700.... plus a $300 tow charge to the tranny shop... sorry to hear your miss fortune..

781_CG6

Reaction score
damn... its the only car i have and basically the only method i have of going to work, because i work too late >_<"

jwong512

Reaction score
You could try that Lucas Transmission Stop Slip. I know it's not a permanent fix but it should be able to buy you some time before you have to take it in to get it permanently fixed.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
he cld but as previously stated tranny is toast, i dnt even think it will last 20 miles now,

op srry to hear this gl, things have a way of working out

hunt98accord

Reaction score
Ya my V6 did the same thing only I got stuck out of town in a snow storm tuff luck at least the 4 cylinder isn't 2800 and a hotel for a week

Back