Painting Jeep fender flares

Status
Not open for further replies.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
only1 hit it on the head
gl with finishing it, wesday is so far away for small jobs
but def 2k primer those puppys
Normally Wednesday wouldn't be a problem, but it's starting to worry me with these problems I'm running into.

My plan:
1) Sand them down with a DA (100 grit)
2) Work my way to around 400 to get rid of scratches
3) Clean them with Windex (ammonia based)
4) Clean them with wax & grease remover
5) Prime them with a plastic primer
6) Wet Sand if needed
7) Shoot them with Krylon Fusion Satin Black
8) Cross my fingers.

If you guys think I should add/remove a step pipe up.. cause I'm in the great unknown with these. Never had this problem with plastic. The more help the merrier, I don't want to end up buying this guy a new set of flares.

JEER42

Reaction score
How was the weather when you painted them? Did it rain, was it very humid?

Last edited:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I'll mail u some raptor liner and you can make those fenders your bïtçh:haysm9:
I thought about doing that, but I'm paying out of pocket already since the materials he provided did not get the job done. I don't want to end up dumping $100 into these flares when new ones are only $120 shipped.

JEER42

Reaction score
Don't DA those with 100 grit, you will NEVER get rid of the scratches. Instead hand sand with no coarser than 320 DRY. Clean with a good quality dish soap like Dawn and paint, that's what I do. I don't use any fancy cleaners.

I have had real good results painting plastics using Dupli-Color Trim paint, not bumper paint. If that doesn't work, you will have no choice but to primer those parts. There are some good quality High Build 1k primers in a can you can use. Good luck with project.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I gave up, they are back on the Jeep. Took them to several body shops and there was nothing they could do. They all pretty much said that they were to the point of being faded so much the plastic became porous and waxes armor all etc.. had impregnated the plastic. Everyone said trash them and buy new ones. I even had one shop do what they could to one piece and spray it out.. same results I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back