fuel filter

homeboy5106

Reaction score
my car dies randomly... don't really know what it is. thought it could be the fuel filter... its happend before about once a month and never got it checked out, but today it died driving down the road five to ten times.. when it dies it takes a couple tries to crank over and my gauges tic on and off rapidly. could it be just a short somewhere or fuel filter??? thanks Jared

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
this could be the ignition switch , real common to fail id check that out, fuel filter is not a common problem at all

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
yea my buddies 98 v6 randomly dies , and sometimes restarts itself or hasta shoot carb cleaner a few times to get it to start again, he replaced ignition switch and problem hasnt came back yet, not a garentee but possibility

F23A1AT

Reaction score
This is classic ignition switch failure. Look on the DIY master list for the repair steps.

Side note the fuel filter is not serviceable on this vehicle.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Filter is servicable...just not by itself.

Like mentioned...check ignition switch or main relay.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
i had the same exact problem when i had my 4 cyl accord. I took it to the shop to get it diagnosed and they told me the ignition switch was bad. Replaced it and never had a problem since, the car started normally and never turned off on me again.

jwong512

Reaction score
There was a recall for the ignition switch so I would get your VIN # checked at the dealer first to see if you qualify for a free replacement. If not, then I would take it to a shop and get it replaced outta your own pocket.

Edit: Either that is the issue or it could also be clogged fuel injectors which is less likely. I would get the ignition fixed first and if that doesn't help, I would pour some Chevron Techron Fuel Injector cleaner.

Last edited:
Back