Annoying problem with HVAC unit (heater controls)

nathan007

Reaction score
Hey fellas!

I've been having a little problem with my 2001 Accord EX (4cyl with manual controls (not like the v6)); Sometimes, almost randomly (especially when car is cold or it's raining, but it happens anytime also), my HVAC control unit doesnt work.

When it happens;

*Trap selection lights (feet, windshield, etc..) shut off and i cannot change the settings for the time the lights are off.
*Defrost doesnt work
*A/C compressor wont work
*Recirculation/Fresh air doesnt work
*Temperature setting doesnt work

Fan speed will always work, since it seems to be working independently. When this problem happen, i'm stuck with the settings i had before it went off. It may last only a few seconds to several minutes. Then, everything light up as it should be and i can switch to whatever option i want.

I havent had the time to fully diagnose the problem, so if you have had this problem and/or know what would be the issue, it would be greatly appreciated to have some imput!

Thanks!

finch13

Reaction score
I have the same exact issues. A lot of time the selection light just randomly goes on and off while I'm driving.

I *think* it's just a loose wire harness on the back of the panel, I take mine off quite a bit.

nathan007

Reaction score
Yeah i've taken it off quite a few times in the 5 years that i've owned the car hehe..

I was just reading my factory manual, i'll go check if there isnt a malfunction code with the hvac system, brb!

nathan007

Reaction score
well, no error code at all!

Wierd thing, when i came to pop off the trim (the one around the radio, wich has the HVAC control into it), the light came on (it wasnt working when i first tried). I tried pulling/pushing on the wires/connectors behind it and it didnt change anything. Its maybe something inside the control, like some messed up welds (just as the DRL module problem (canada))

jared21927

Reaction score
had the same problem........i purchased a new control panel at a junkyard for 10 bucks.........works like a champ........just change out the whole panel and connect it to the new one

nathan007

Reaction score
^I'll keep that in mind hehe

It's funny because ever since summer started, and warm weather came along, i didnt have this problem again.. It seems to only occur when it's cold (fall/winter/spring).

watut

Reaction score
^I'll keep that in mind hehe

It's funny because ever since summer started, and warm weather came along, i didnt have this problem again.. It seems to only occur when it's cold (fall/winter/spring).

Mines the opposite. Started happening when it got hot out

Back