HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 9/30/2018!!]

cb1999nj

Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 6/2!!]

that's why smoking should be banned! sorry about your car!

HomerJay

Reaction score

Thanks for all the comments, guys!!...:beer:

It is so nice to have her back...:D

HomerJay

Reaction score

lol, yeah I remember how happy I was when I finally blackhoused my headlights, ever since its like the first thing I suggest people should do when they start messing around with their accords.
As luck would have it...I've almost finished the blackhosing. When it comes to the more "crafty" jobs I'm finding I have to rework it once or twice...D'OH!!...;)

Boy does it ever clean up the look of the car!!...:) I see stock Accords all the time and cringe at that yellow reflector...;) (I admit the reflector looks better on different cars...I don't believe it belongs on a black car)
question about the gauges - it looks like you have really bad hot spotting on the needles - is it really that bad at night or is it just some weird camera setting?
The LEDs (well, the console part) has turned into one of those "crafty" projects. I'm on what I'd call "Phase 2"...:p...there were bad hot spots in "Phase 1" (the photo you remarked about). When I cleared out the needles, everything went south quickly!!

20070613-01.jpg

I didn't like how they cleared out completely in the center but not on the needles themselves. I believe there is also orange on the back of my needles.

As an interim solution, I used touch up paint for my car to paint the needle hubs.

20070613-02.jpg

20070613-03.jpg

This has cut down on any hot spots caused by the clear needles. The final phase of the console will be the replacement of all three gauge clusters (for new needles...:)) and Speedhut overlays to alleviate the problem I am having with even lighting across all gauges.
also how long did it take you to solder in all the led's, and how small were your soldering points? I'm not exactly a surgeon with a soldering iron lol
This is a closeup of three of the LEDs I soldered for the indicator LEDs on the climate control:

20070613-04.jpg

This is definitely a case where having the right tool helps. I used the soldering iron (64-2051, $7.99 @ RadioShack) and solder (64-035E, a couple bucks @ RadioShack) recommended by LED Automotive and had no issues. The way the contacts are on the circuit board, the solder just pools there. There aren't any circuits nearby to accidentally cross, either. I don't remember exactly how long it took but I was able to solder the LEDs for the cruise control (x2), sunroof (x2), climate control (x3), indicators (x8) over the period of a few hours.
As far as springs/ new suspension goes, it really is quite easy to do. If you want to take it easy and do it over a weekend, you can, but really for most people who have a ratchet set, a good jack, and some jackstands, even by yourself it should only take you like 4-6 hours. When I put my coilovers on, I had some help from a few guys that had done it before - and with no compressor, and with having to re-use my OEM topmounts it took less than 2 hours start to finish - including a break to get food lol.

Trickiest part isn't unbolting anything, but rather wrestling the shocks out of the wheel wells imo. That's the part where it helps most to have someone help out, so they can step down on the rotor while you're wiggling the SOB outta there.
Thanks! I've been waiting on parts for my suspension for almost 3 weeks now!! I'm hoping to finally get to it this coming weekend.

And I finally found a task I could handle the first time around...;)...new floor mats!!...:D

20070613-05.jpg

Last edited:

HomerJay

Reaction score
PSPEC is installed!!

OEM shifter:

20080202-01.jpg

OEM side profile:

20080202-02.jpg

OEM to PSPEC:

20080202-03.jpg

PSPEC is ~2-5/8" shorter:

20080202-04.jpg

All the dashboard pieces I needed to take out during installation:

20080202-05.jpg

PSPEC installed in shifter frame and back in the car:

20080202-06.jpg

20080202-07.jpg

PSPEC side profile:

20080202-08.jpg

Remember that OEM side profile?

20080202-02.jpg

Installation complete:

20080211-01.jpg

Now, that's more like it!...:driving:

20080211-02.jpg

20080211-03.jpg

:D :cool: I absolutely love it!!

Last edited:

AngusTEx

Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 2/11!!]

Dammit HJ I love it. :drool:

I really don't wanna add more to my to-do list. :mad: Props for the work and pics!!

kamozee

Reaction score

Really nice whip

Where did you get the pedals, they are mint

Lovin' the oem wheels as well. Those are the nicest 6th gen wheels for the 4cyl

I have the same neuspeed strut bar but got it in polished. I wanted to get the black one first but couldn't find it. Rarity!

HomerJay

Reaction score

Really nice whip

Where did you get the pedals, they are mint

Lovin' the oem wheels as well. Those are the nicest 6th gen wheels for the 4cyl

I have the same neuspeed strut bar but got it in polished. I wanted to get the black one first but couldn't find it. Rarity!
Thanks!...sorry it took so long to reply. I've been taking too many photos and making too many changes. My car has turned into another hobby...a very expensive, time-consuming hobby. Not that I'm don't love it...;)

The pedals are from www.ultimatepedals.com ...they have all kinds of options. It is recommended to get tread on the brake pedal at the very least...so I opted for the flat rubber inserts for all pedals. I also like that they offer a foot rest. It's also nice that the pedals are essential OEM in size and shape.

Your car is nearly a twin. What level tint do you have? I can't go too dark and really like the look of yours.

kamozee

Reaction score

I have 35% in the front and rear quarter window which is the legal limit. In the rear windshield I went one step darker to 20%

HomerJay

Reaction score

I have 35% in the front and rear quarter window which is the legal limit. In the rear windshield I went one step darker to 20%
Gotcha. Looks nice!

The legal limit for me is 50% front and 35% rear...not being a fan of two-tone tint, I'll probably go for 50% or a little darker.

Thanks!

AngusTEx

Reaction score

50% limit? Wow that's high. What state?

I have 30% sides (25% is limit) and 15% rear (limit). I should've went for 25% sides for the hell of it. Speaking of the two-tone, my 15% difference is hardly noticeable. So imo, I'd think yours would still look great with 50%F/35%R.

Back