I think I blew my subwoofer?

Jianizzle

Reaction score
I was doing some excursion testing a couple days ago with my sub and it was sounding really clean and loud. After that, I listened to some smooth hip hop songs with a clean bass line. When I was listening to a song, it would hit the low frequencies nicely, then when it hit some higher frequencies, it sounded like it was rattling or something. It's really hard to explain the noise. I set my LPF to 80hz, but when I listen to higher frequencies in songs, it sounds really forced and buzzy, I guess.

Did I blow my sub? And if I did, is this possible to fix?

I'm gonna be real bummed if I did. This is a new sub.

Jianizzle

Reaction score
My Gains are set to "Normal" on the amp and I don't have any extra bass added onto it within the HU. The weird noise/rattling/buzzing whatever it is happens on high frequencies. And I do feel some air coming from the cone. Or around it, during the high frequencies.

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
well if air is coming out the cone check if you have an opening open cause the cone could have ripd, another easy way to tell if it is flip the sub over and smell the magnet hole if it smells burned then probably it is

and if the sub is burnd don't think you can fix you will have to replace it:ugh:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
it sounds like it is an air leak... either from a hole in the cone, a rip/tear between the cone & suspension, or the box itself (do you have a speaker gasket?). it is also possible that the pole has ripped away from the spider, which you can see if you take the sub out and look behind the cone.

if the vc is burnt.... lay the box/sub so that the cone is facing up, and very carefully push the cone straight down (hands directly across from each other works best). if there is a grinding noise, then its starting to seize up and will need rebuilt or replaced depending on whatever is cheaper.

xx24xx

Reaction score
First I would run the sub free air and make sure the sound isn't coming from the internal components. If you truly feel air coming from the cone then the glue may have torn. The reason for playing it freeair is to ensure that the problem isn't your amp. Double check your ohms with a multimeter.

It's all a matter of how much time you want to spend and how much money it's worth. Perhaps it would be easier and not a big hit on the wallet to simply replace?

Last edited:

cvjoint

Reaction score
My midbass did the same thing. I took it in for repairs today, part of the VC came undone is my best guess. You probably need a recone, my midbass can't be reconed so I just bought another.

redEYEjedi

Reaction score
I have 2 Kicker L5 subs in great condition for sale. Plus also got an amp and box for sale as well.

It will up in the FS section shortly.

Back