Want to do a coolant flush.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Ive noticed on my scan gauge my car reaches temperatures of 212 degrees at time most of the time its at 202. or 198. So i wanted to do a coolant flush since ive never done one in the 2 years ive owned it. The car isnt overheating just wanted to do some pm. So my question is do you guys use Honda Coolant or it doesnt matter. Ive wanted to stick with oem parts / fluids, I wana keep the car for a long time.

S13 @ FullBoost

Reaction score
no there are plenty of good aftermarket company's to buy coolant from. the dealer is usually way over priced. check out peak prestone ext.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
ok thx alot guys. ill just pick up some prestone. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt like the honda transmission fluid.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
I just want to add that you should NEVER use radiator flush chemicals. The idiots at autozone sold my brother a bottle of radiator flush when he went to buy some radiator coolant. :ughrun:

ActNow

Reaction score
Also take a look at the coolant you drain. It may not be in bad condition and reusable. Be sure to look for rust coloring, oil, medal shavings, things of that sort. I reused mine but still ended up adding half a bottle of new. If its your first time doing a complete flush? And by yourself? I suggest you start early.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
Also take a look at the coolant you drain. It may not be in bad condition and reusable. Be sure to look for rust coloring, oil, medal shavings, things of that sort. I reused mine but still ended up adding half a bottle of new. If its your first time doing a complete flush? And by yourself? I suggest you start early.

I totally agree that you should examine your fluid for such materials but to reuse it.... :eusa_doh:

Not trying to bash your method but $40 for new fluid is just not that much money to know you have clean, fresh fluid flowing through your car on those hot summer days...

My 2 cents ;)

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Ive done it before in a old car i had. I don't think re using is a good idea. Specially after you go thru all the trouble of taking out the fluid your gonna put the same one back.... How many gallons did you guys buy? What did you do with your old antifreeze?

Adancito

Reaction score
Ive done it before in a old car i had. I don't think re using is a good idea. Specially after you go thru all the trouble of taking out the fluid your gonna put the same one back.... How many gallons did you guys buy? What did you do with your old antifreeze?

Just buy a small bottle of Peak radiator flush fluid. And after you just need one Gallon of prestone or peak. Last time i went 70%prestone and 30% distilled water. I used distilled so it won't leave mineral desposits. That's just me though.

method5150

Reaction score
Did a flush to my Accord. I actually upgraded to the new Blue coolant instead of using the green when I did my timing/water belt. Also replaced alot of other seals while I had her apart.

I used a flush kit, drained coolant, replaced with distilled water/flush kit, ran for 10 min. drained again, refilled with distilled water... did this two more times to get all the flush and green coolant out. re-filled with Blue honda coolant....

Don't care what any one says, Stick to OEM!! It's already mixed with distilled water. BTW, never put water from the tap in your car. Over time you will get mineral build up in your water jackets. Also, the prestone stuff is crap.. it's NOT a non-silicate formula that most/all newer cars require. The only non-silicate coolant you can buy is the Dex-cool used in GM cars. why do you need this? most newer autos engines (BMW, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes) have aluminium and plastic components. Over time the "low" silicate crap will break down these parts.. esp plastic in radiators. seen it with my own eyes on a BMW and Honda civic.

but hey, it's your ride.... do as you will... you only pay for quality once.

Back