problems when accelerating

Acclude315

Reaction score
I live in upstate NY...and right now it is getting pretty cold (just wanted to paint a pic.)....So anyway, the other day i'm driving (99' Honda Accord Lx sedan) on the highway and I'm doin 60mph...from there I i hit the gas, vtec kicks in and I' doin 80mph (no problems yet)...but then i slow down back to 60mph (due to traffic)...when i try to accelerate again the car acted like it was gonna hit vtec and then all of a sudden it just started to make a putt putt sound (almost as if it was running out of gas)...the check engine light came on...when i got home i turned the car off, started it, took it on the highway and the same thing happened when i tried to hit the gas...when i gradually accelerate, the car doesn't have issues, however, you can tell its not accelerating right. I noticed my anti-freeze was down low so i topped that off, but i don't know if the coolant being low was just a coincidence. What could the problem be?...Has anyone else ever had similar issues?

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
check engine light still coming on? if so take it to an autozone or similar place and have them pull the code for you, or you can do it yourself.. i forget where the diy is on that though.

nexTOme

Reaction score
on the highway and I'm doin 60mph...from there I i hit the gas, vtec kicks in and I' doin 80mph (no problems yet)...

how can you feel vtec kick in our car? i'd assume you have auto tranny, and you felt the downshift/kickdown.....i can barely feel the vtec kick in our car when i early shift and put lotta load......then i'd feel it around 2k or 2.3k....i drive MT, and even then, i can barely feel it......

i just wanted let you know what vtec feels like in our car....
if you really want to feel the vtec kick, id suggest you to drive either gsr, or prelude...basically dohc vtec...(of course not i-vtec)...

i drove latest gen prelude today, and vtec in that thing was pretty sweet.....didt push me against the seat or n e thing, but it was fun to drive....hehe

WhiteAccord

Banned
Reaction score
What about at lower speeds. It could be your distributor cap, Could be a spark problem.

kconn

Reaction score
lol @ vtec

SOHC vtec is a joke.... i hear it but sure as hell dont feel it in our cars

Acclude315

Reaction score
hey i never said it was "head snapping"...but i do know my car and even though i only have the simple i/h/e and high flow cat mods...i can tell when vtec kicks in and when i'm doin the 60mph-80mph cruisin, it will kick in @ around 4300-4400 rpm consistently...but n e way i will try the distributor cap, spark plugs as well, and the CYP sensor

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
hey i never said it was "head snapping"...but i do know my car and even though i only have the simple i/h/e and high flow cat mods...i can tell when vtec kicks in and when i'm doin the 60mph-80mph cruisin, it will kick in @ around 4300-4400 rpm consistently...but n e way i will try the distributor cap, spark plugs as well, and the CYP sensor

Haha common mistake man, one that I made too back in the day. vtec does not kick in at 4300-4400 rpm, thats just getting close to the max torque (4900rpms) that you're feeling. vtec in the f23 engines kicks in at around 2300-3200rpms depending on several factors but that is the range in which it engages no sooner or later (you really can't feel it cuz its an economy boosting vtec). Good luck with fixing your problem tho:thumbsup:

Last edited:

nexTOme

Reaction score
Haha common mistake man, one that I made too back in the day. vtec does not kick in at 4300-4400 rpm, thats just getting close to the max torque (4900rpms) that you're feeling. vtec in the f23 engines kicks in at around 2300-3200rpms depending on several factors but that is the range in which it engages no sooner or later (you really can't feel it cuz its an economy boosting vtec). Good luck with fixing your problem tho:thumbsup:

it had to be that or the kickdown....

yeah, there was someone here saying kickdown for AT was the vtec......i was like......you dont deserve honda....LOL

but i mean, it is easy to think that tho....when i got my car, i was so excited because i thot i might feel the vtec just like gsr in my car.....but my dream was shattered after visiting this site....haha

for the trade offs, i learned lotta things..hehe

Back