Lowering question?

chaby_91

Reaction score
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... but

1st - Your stock shock absorbers will be able to handle the springs from a month to a year. I heard/seen/read it all.

2nd - As a safety mesure, if I had to get springs installed/removed, I'd get it done professionally

3rd - A camber kit is not necessary, but if you want to get your wheel straight, you will need one

fallout09890

Reaction score
first off, im going to say get coilovers...620 shipped type 1's and you'll get it in about a week...quick and simple..easier than your springs and shocks.

second all you need is a compressor and set it up CORRECT! if you don't set it up correct that's where the injuries come in. set it up correct and they're as reliable as american cars:jerkit:.

third you don't NEED a camber kit. im dropped about 2-3 inches, not really sure and i have no camber kit. and i already did 110mph on the highway :chucklesfawk:. it's fine but just wears out your tires of course.

but dont the struts in coilovers wear out too?? and if that happens, will the coilovers be rendered useless. Im on a HS student budget so I was planning to stick with OEM struts w/ sportlines till I can save up for coilovers b/c coilovers are $620+$80 for an alignment+ $150-200 on camber kit and I still have tons of stuff that I want to get like a rear sway bar, rims, a retro.... At first I was thinking about those Falken springs on ebay but they sold out of the ones with a 2in drop for the I4 6ga. They only have them for the v6 6ga and from what Ive read on this forum, its not a good idea to put v6 springs on an I4

chaby_91

Reaction score
What do you mean by if I want to get my wheel straight? If I skip out on the camber kit, will my steering be affected?

I guess I suck at explaining in english... This will help
camber.gif

Edit : As knighthawk1104 said, it will wear out your tires especially in the inside. By lowering yor car you will get negative camber. This is normal for the rear wheels... it imprives grip when cornering. As for the front wheels, it will reduce your acceleration a tiny bit because the whole tire is not flat on the road

hope this helps

Last edited:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
but dont the struts in coilovers wear out too?? and if that happens, will the coilovers be rendered useless. Im on a HS student budget so I was planning to stick with OEM struts w/ sportlines till I can save up for coilovers b/c coilovers are $620+$80 for an alignment+ $150-200 on camber kit and I still have tons of stuff that I want to get like a rear sway bar, rims, a retro.... At first I was thinking about those Falken springs on ebay but they sold out of the ones with a 2in drop for the I4 6ga. They only have them for the v6 6ga and from what Ive read on this forum, its not a good idea to put v6 springs on an I4

when you lower the car you put stress on so many parts already.

fallout09890

Reaction score
I guess I suck at explaining in english... This will help
camber.gif

Edit : As knighthawk1104 said, it will wear out your tires especially in the inside. By lowering yor car you will get negative camber. This is normal for the rear wheels... it imprives grip when cornering. As for the front wheels, it will reduce your acceleration a tiny bit because the whole tire is not flat on the road

hope this helps

I get it.. so our cars dont have an OEM camber adjustment which calls for a camber kit

chaby_91

Reaction score
I get it.. so our cars dont have an OEM camber adjustment which calls for a camber kit

Our cars have the cambers needed to handle the stock suspensions. They might be ajustable a bit, but within the range of what the stock suspensions requires.

jdm00accord

Reaction score
you can drive fine without a camber kit. i bought a camber kit just to make my camber -2 (more of an angle) cause i like the look. wears the tires but looks so sick. and i always have ppl asking whats wrong with my car and if its broken haha. as for springs, i ran tenzo r springs on stock struts for a good long while with no problems, then i upgraded to megan coilovers on tokico illumina struts when i had the money.

chasnsx

Reaction score
Autozone loans a spring compressor for a $60 credit card deposit, or will sell you one for the same price. You can do the spring/strut job yourself pretty easily, but you will need a shop to align the car after. If you lower the car 2 inches or less, then you will not need a front camber kit (adustable ball joints). However, you will need a rear camber kit. There are three or four out there, but Ingalls Engineering makes the best one because it replaces the two lower arms, giving you full adjustability, instead of just replacing the single upper arm.

Lastly, lowering the car on stock shocks is a bad idea. If they are not already blown, they will be shortly. Spend the money on good shocks that are designed for lowering, like Tokicos, or Konis if you can find them. And if you want more than two inches of drop, then just skip the spring/shock thing and step up to full coilovers.

Chas

Back