whats the difference

98vtec5spd

Reaction score
Same thing. I have one. A lot more responsive than the stock F23A1, but maybe that's just me. (maybe because I had a high mileage F23A1 with bad compression and burned oil like everyone else here lol) I think that's how the F23A1 should respond and act. Everything connects like it should. Just use your stock intake and exhaust manifold and fuel injectors.

yeah i hear you the thing the is really ticking me off is i just spent 1100 on labor and new parts for the engine that i am having to replace not even a month ago so i am having those parts put on the jdm and the really cool thing is i was get 450 miles to a tank after all the new parts which jumped from 330 per tank

chasnsx

Reaction score
I have a JDM F23 also, and the improved throttle response is for real. The compression is slightly higher, and the head flows a little better. It is just a little more rev happy than the USDM engine. I also had no problem passing smog with it. I also used my original manifolds and dizzy.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Their valve cover is black...

Just go get one from a junkyard. You're just over paying for the "jdm"-ness of it.

Why when all your most likely going to get is another crappy high mileage engine that burns oil with $hitty compression you know? You don't really know the history of that engine... I got my JDM engine for about $500, whereas most junkyards charge about $375-400 for a used high mileage engine.

I have a JDM F23 also, and the improved throttle response is for real. The compression is slightly higher, and the head flows a little better. It is just a little more rev happy than the USDM engine. I also had no problem passing smog with it. I also used my original manifolds and dizzy.

Same here. I switched over my vtec solenoid because I replaced mine last year. But yeah, if your a 5spd, this engine loves to be revved. And its just more responsive. One of my good friends here on the forums can vouch for me. He was amazed when he drove my car compared to his. But nothing is compared to an H22/23 swap. Complete different story!

Last edited:

98vtec5spd

Reaction score
as much as i would love to drop a H22/23 in i just dont have the money right now im lucky that i got enough back from my taxes so that i can afford to put in a jdm f23. i found an importer that has them for 650 and the install is 450. and yes i have a 5spd with a stage 3 racing clutch and an AEM cold air intake

Back