Lowering question?

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
Alright so im fairly new to 6thgenaccords, and im starting to work on mine.

Already put a new performance exhaust, CAI, lights, brakes, etc.

Only now im thinking i should lower it to make it more sleek-looking and handle a bit better. I have the stock rims on my 01 ex sedan, and am looking into buying new rims to go with it.

ONLY

the problem is, should i even attempt to install the springs myself? I have a lift and all the necessary tools, but again im not sure i want to put the well-being of my car into my non-professional hands...

soo...

is there anyone who has done it themselves? is there a DIY thread for it?

i can always look online, but jobs like this are extensive....

if i just bring it to a shop, how much would they normally charge for the springs to be installed themselves??

any input would be appreciated

thanks!

JayStuff

Reaction score
Look at the diy master list under strut spring install. Are you only installing springs? You just need to borrow a spring compressor from a local auto shop. If they ask you to rent it, it can't possibly cost too much. Les shwab will do it for about 200 but you have to buy the sounds from them or they won't install em.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Install yourself if you're comfortable getting your hands dirty.

There is a DIY. Most people here have done it themselves, but not all.

Call a shop to get a quote.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Here's a really useful site/blog on some DIY's for the accord.

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/index.php

Btw, shops around my area in los angeles generally charge anywhere from 100-200 for springs/coilover installation. That should kind of give you an idea if you were to give it to a shop to do it.

Lowman

Reaction score
Do you have any friends into cars that have done a similar job? try it yourself, its always a good learning experience.

fallout09890

Reaction score
dont mean to thread jack... but Im also looking into installing lowering springs, but I dont have any money for struts. I heard that Eibach sportlines shouldnt be low enough that the stock struts will be able to handle it. But the part that scares me is when you compress the springs off the struts(I dont have an impact wrench). I have heard of so many horror stories about the compressor or something else failing and resulting in injuries. What are some safety measures that I should think about while attempting this??? Also is a camber kit needed for lowering a car??

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
dont mean to thread jack... but Im also looking into installing lowering springs, but I dont have any money for struts. I heard that Eibach sportlines shouldnt be low enough that the stock struts will be able to handle it. But the part that scares me is when you compress the springs off the struts(I dont have an impact wrench). I have heard of so many horror stories about the compressor or something else failing and resulting in injuries. What are some safety measures that I should think about while attempting this??? Also is a camber kit needed for lowering a car??

first off, im going to say get coilovers...620 shipped type 1's and you'll get it in about a week...quick and simple..easier than your springs and shocks.

second all you need is a compressor and set it up CORRECT! if you don't set it up correct that's where the injuries come in. set it up correct and they're as reliable as american cars:jerkit:.

third you don't NEED a camber kit. im dropped about 2-3 inches, not really sure and i have no camber kit. and i already did 110mph on the highway :chucklesfawk:. it's fine but just wears out your tires of course.

Back