Car died, but perky again

nuseah

Reaction score
So....my car is a 2002 Honda Accord EX 5spd, 4-cylinder coupe w/ approximately 125K miles that has been running superbly until something strange happened today.

On my drive back home, I was turning into my garage and noticed that my steering wheel was locking up. I looked at my tachometer and noticed that the engine has been shut off. Perplexed, I assumed I stalled when going over a speed bump so I tried to starting the car, but to no avail, however the car would turn, it just wouldn't start. Not to mention the battery is new, the alternator and oil level was good, the timing belt has been changed, and the spark plugs are relatively new.

So with the help of my neighbor, I pulled up to a parking spot to reassess everything and tried to start the car again. Again it turned, but the engine wouldn't start. I saw two red lights in the tachometer, which I believe were the battery and the engine oil light. I tried starting the car again and it fired up, only for it to sputter and turn off. So I decided to give it some gas while starting the car and it fired up again, only for it to sputter and turn off yet again.

Still perplexed, I walked on over to Safeway to pick up a quart of motor oil and filled up 1/2 a quart (prior to pouring some oil, the oil level was right at the bottom dot) and the engine started up right away. As if nothing happened the car was idling normally, no weird smell, no weird sound, just the same old reliable car that I've known it for.

I still felt somewhat uneasy so I took it around the block and turned it off and on about five times to ensure that the car is working properly.

Although I changed the oil on this car about 1-2K miles ago, I decided to give it another change and the car started just fine afterwards.

So I guess my question is:

1) If the oil pressure is low (which it wasn't), does the car automatically shut off? I did a search and it seems like the consensus is that this car isn't equipped with such features.
2) Has this happened to anyone else?
3) Could this be a fuse?

Last edited:

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Ignition switch /relay
Faulty distributor
Faulty fuel pump/filter
faulty alarm Immobilizer
Recheck grounds, battery, and alternator

1slosedan

Reaction score
You just reminded of something that I had completely forgot. This happened to me in my 6ga, when I first got it 5 years ago. It shut off, took a bit to restart, and I have never had it happen again. The only difference is that I did not put oil in mine while I was broken down. I am not sure why it happened to you, but hopefully it will just be one of those WTF things that only happens once..

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Also, check your main relay. Please research on your own how to diagnose and intervene for the mentioned problems, there is plenty of info on all of them.

chasnsx

Reaction score
Nine times out of ten, when a 6gen Accord stalls while you are driving (as opposed to being unable to restart after you park), it is a fuel pump going bad. For a long time, my Accord idled a little low and rough (600 rpm), and often felt like it was going to stall while going around corners. I also noticed that the tach would drop while decelerating, or while the trans was downshifting.

Recently it stalled twice while my daughter was driving it. I finally broke down and took it to my mechanic, and he replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay. The result was amazing. The car now idles smoothly at just under 1000 rpm.

Obviously, the fuel pump was slowly going bad for a long time. If you have a problem with the car stalling while driving, particularly going around corners, decelerating, or downshifting, the fuel pump is a very likely cause. Bear in mind, regardless of mileage, our cars are between nine and thirteen years old, and an electric motor, particularly one that is constantly running, does not last forever.

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
also keep in mind our cars had a recall for bad ignition switches......check into that

Back