DIY: Speaker wiring thru factory grommet

xmsleepr

Reaction score
now these pictures arent as detailed as some of you may like but its still very cold out here and i had my amp power to run under my carpet wanted to get it done at the same time, maybe ill do better pictures doing drivers side some other day..

step 1: Remove door panel
step 2: Remove speaker
step 3: Pop off the grommet from both sides...body side you need a flat-head door side you can just squeeze and pull out or push out from inside door
step 4: feed your speaker wire thru the loom, easier to start from the bottom and push it up because its easier to work it thru the accordion in the beginning...
IMG00009-20100209-1645.jpg

step 5: feed the bottom part into the door and squeeze rubber back into place...pretty straight forward since you can reach thru the inside of the door and pull wire
IMG00011-20100209-1648.jpg

step 5: pretty easy too IF you have tiny hands...
remove the cover for the fuse box on that side you will see where the harness that goes into the door connects into...push the wire in from the outside and slide your hand into the space and pull it out..push rubber back in this rubber is a bit tight might need flathead to push it in...
IMG00013-20100209-1649.jpg

tips: I used rockford fosgate 12awg wire from ebay came precut in 15' rolls its the thick wire can hold its shape pushing it thru the rubber loom and such
so i didnt need to put a coat hanger or anything in there to help it thru, the wire inside the rubber grommet thing is EXPOSED its not inside of a wire loom like it appears to be so putting a coat hanger in there can cause damage...

Namboyz

Reaction score
nice diy. i did that exact same thing. it was a pain. and wow you fit 12gauge nice. i only had 16 guage to work with so its what ever.

hey you wouldnt know what the max number of watts a 16 gauge wire can carry would you?

tckm

Reaction score
nice diy!
im sure itll help me and a bunch of others!

xmsleepr

Reaction score
It was actually easier than I thought it would be expect to scrath up your hand tho and it takes patience and a few tries to grab wire from other side...
Namboyz ima look up that for you when I get to a computer think I kno where to find it ;)

Toyojake

Reaction score
Thanks! This will definitely come in handy when I replace my stock audio setup!

Badook

Reaction score
nice diy. i did that exact same thing. it was a pain. and wow you fit 12gauge nice. i only had 16 guage to work with so its what ever.

hey you wouldnt know what the max number of watts a 16 gauge wire can carry would you?

The max watts is not what you need to be looking for intitially, the max amps 16 guage wire can handle in a 12 volt system is 20 amps.. multiply volts 12 and amps 20 .that gives you watts. So the max 16 guage wire can handle 240 watts safely.

xmsleepr

Reaction score
The max watts is not what you need to be looking for intitially, the max amps 16 guage wire can handle in a 12 volt system is 20 amps.. multiply volts 12 and amps 20 .that gives you watts. So the max 16 guage wire can handle 240 watts safely.

Yes that's good theory but you have to consider the resistance increase in the wire by feet I have like 15' from trunk to front speaker so the thicker wire means less resistance...ima be running a 100watts rms per speaker...

Badook

Reaction score
Yes that's good theory but you have to consider the resistance increase in the wire by feet I have like 15' from trunk to front speaker so the thicker wire means less resistance...ima be running a 100watts rms per speaker...

Bigger wire is always better but over 15 feet your not going to create enough resistance to matter. If the max is 240 watts your within your limits. If it makes you feel better go to the next size up. No point in keeping origional wires if your not comfortable with it. The resistance will create a voltage drop over distance... to have any affect you will have to be well over 100 ft to start worrying.
Its all up to what your comfortable with.

Back