H22a4 Swap Information

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I get more and more confused when I read information on this swap. I got an h22a4 for free. I am going to be swapping that into my 98 accord ex manual. I want this thread to be used to help answer questions people have regarding the swap. I am swapping my car to obd1 and using a p28. The h22a4 has external coil and is 2 plug while mine is just a single plug. I heard you cannot use this distributor with a p28. I decided I should probably just use an obd1 distributor and injectors because it is single plug and can be used with the p28. I was going to use a jumper harness to me Ecu but someone said that is a bad idea? They told me I should get an Obd1 harness from a 92-95 civic vtec? That seems unnecessary to me. Any suggestions?

james'99

Reaction score
I think once your project is complete, re-purposing it as a DIY would make for a good one for the Master List.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I think once your project is complete, re-purposing it as a DIY would make for a good one for the Master List.

That was kind of my plan. The h22a4 is just not well documented anywhere. Especially in a 6th gen. There's just a bunch of ways to go about doing. I think I have everything figured out but I guess we'll see.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
So, I have no idea if that helps here or not, but in the Facebook group someone shared an H22a4 running on an SiR ECU.

Honestly just throwing this out there, you may hear something in that video that helps you.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I think I have everything figured out now

H22a4 has saturated injectors

H22a1 is peak and hold but peak and hold injectors need resistors. If you do not use resistors you'll fry the ecu

I'm going to use the h22a1 distributor because it has adjustable timing and can be used on the p28. I'm going to use like 350cc injectors and run resistors and it should work.

Or I think I could possibly use the h22a4 injectors without a box because is is not required but I have no idea what kind of issue that will be until it is tuned

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I have been searching all night because I want this swap to be done correctly. I can use saturated injectors with an obd1 Ecu and no resistor packs. Now what I have to figure out for the motor is the IAB. People call it 2 stage because it opens of closes (can't remember too tired) at 4900 rpm and vtec kicks in at 5500. I'll search that more in morning. I'll also post a list of everything I feel is necessary for doing while the motor is out.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Anybody doing an H22 swap or an F20B swap. While the motor is out of your car, I highly suggest you make this change. They come with an auto timing tensioner, known to fail, causing you to skip timing and causing lots of damage. A lot of people switch to the h23 manual tensioner but that has its own problem. This is made by a company pretty local to me and takes like 5 minutes to do with the motor out of the car. Here's a link. I kind of want to buy their balance shaft eliminator kit but don't feel like taking the motor completely apart but now would be the time to do it... Tempting...
http://www.kstuned.com/collections/kstuned-products/products/h22-timing-tensioner

Back