Transmission crack leak (pics)

themachine

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a problem here

Car: i4 99 accord
there's a crack in my transmission and it's leaking. Do you guys think i can weld this?

Attachments

• IMG_20151118_104701_01.jpg
    IMG_20151118_104701_01.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 100

Got02Accord

Reaction score
You would have to pull the tranny out to properly weld it. Youd never get good penetration that would last and you could never stop the leak long enough to clean the area and weld on it without getting crazy contamination and porosity which would end up failing.

Not to mention if i am right its cast aluminum so you will need a tig that can do A/C or a mig with a spool gun attachment.

themachine

Reaction score
You would have to pull the tranny out to properly weld it. Youd never get good penetration that would last and you could never stop the leak long enough to clean the area and weld on it without getting crazy contamination and porosity which would end up failing.

Not to mention if i am right its cast aluminum so you will need a tig that can do A/C or a mig with a spool gun attachment.

mechanic was saying to drain the transmission first and do a cold weld.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I really don't know if it will fix the leak. It is possible to weld, and cheaper than a new trans.

So try it, I guess. That is aluminum, so it's harder to find, I might try JB Weld. Fill/coat the crack, let it dry, then (with more) stick on some kinda plate.

themachine

Reaction score
I really don't know if it will fix the leak. It is possible to weld, and cheaper than a new trans.

So try it, I guess. That is aluminum, so it's harder to find, I might try JB Weld. Fill/coat the crack, let it dry, then (with more) stick on some kinda plate.

Thanks man, replaced it with the warranty, got those f23a from japan but let me ask you some, when you checking the level of the transmission, car has to be in operation temp and turned off right. The level on mine is usually between the crosses. My mechanic checks it while the car is on. I don't see any leaks or anything though.

Back