(SOLVED) Shudder after timing belt change / ATF

Bambalance

Reaction score
Long time browser, first time poster. Please help! I decided to help my grandmother by offering to do the timing/balancer belt change with both tensioners and a new water pump. I also replaced the valve cover gasket/grommet/spark seals, and drained and filled about 2 2/3 quart of the ATF.

Now, after I start the car, I am getting some very loud and strong vibrations only at certain times. It is most strong in reverse, almost undrivable. In neutral and park it is pretty bad. Then in d4,d3,2,1 it seems to go away and run fine. But if i get up to speed, even in drive it will shudder when slowing at a stop sign then go away once stopped.

Is it something to do with the timing, balancer belt, one of the accessory belts, or even the new ATF? This is time critical bc my grandmother is 93 and I don't want to put her in a dangerous vehicle and she is currently without transportation. Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Re: Shutter after timing belt change

Sounds like timing is off. Check you engine mounts too.

Bambalance

Reaction score
Re: Shutter after timing belt change

Thanks for the reply. Now that I have let it sit overnight, the problem has definitely reduced in severity. Now it seems the shutter is just in reverse and in park only when I shift there directly from reverse. Maybe there's air in the transmission? Is there a bleeder for that or only the dipstick hole?

I don't think it's the timing because it would sound bad all the time, no? Also I dont think it's an engine mount because they were fine before this service and the one I took off looked good. Thanks for your help, though.

Please let me know if you can think of something else! Thanks.

Bambalance

Reaction score
Re: Shudder after timing belt change

Weirdly, if I leave it in reverse then shift to drive, the vibration is slightly present still for a while, then goes away. I've tried running through the gears and leaving the dipstick loose to purge air, but it still sounds nasty.

Btw 1999 auto 4cyl VTEC

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Re: Shudder after timing belt change / ATF

Leaving it no dip stick does nothing. Make sure it has Honda ATF, the right amount & color.

Timing off one way (iirc counter clock wise, at crank 1 tooth) it idles odd, revs fine.

Check what you did to find what you did before you find what changed, to find what changed when you did before you find what's different then it was...(I can keep that up forever :)

xci.ed6

Reaction score

Where's sound come from? Does it come while sitting (no or p) or moving (d or r)? what is sound (bang or whir)?

Bambalance

Reaction score

It idles fine in drive, only poorly in reverse, so I'm pretty certain (sort of) at this point it's not the timing. I put in 2.66q new honda ATF in the right place in the right hole at the right time for the right reasons. It was dark brown coming out, red going in.

The noise is like a rattle/rhythmic tap barely perceptible outside at the rear of the engine compartment and extremely loud and physically perceptible inside the cabin while in reverse. It seems to infect the other gears if you shift right to them immediately from reverse.

I rechecked the mount and it is tight. As time goes on, the symptoms are improving. To me, this evidence leads to the tranny, but I'm no mechanic by any means.

xci.ed6

Reaction score

Odd, sounds like stickin hydraulic. A hard fix. If other stff works ( descibed) sounds like trans is dead.

Bambalance

Reaction score

Would a drain a fill of 2.6 quarts of new ATF seriously kill the transmission? Keep in mind it was fine before the change 2 days ago.

In your opinion, does the difference between gears make you think it's not the timing as well? Or should I take it apart and try to realign everything?

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score

Gear's are odd. Especially auto. In most cases people have either an MIL or wait for a total failure. Honda autos are also different from normal autos, closer to manuals...strange on strange...

D&F does nothing, assuming you use the right fluid, and the right amount.

I thought the problem came when you did the t-belt? Anyway, you never need to remove it all (yet), pop off cam-gear cover and turn crank to tdc, easy is to leave on belt drive pulley and belts.

Back