Need advice/help Asap

HotboxF23

Reaction score
So i noticed earlier driving that I had a cloud of blue smoke everytime I pull off or downshift. ..quick analysis deemed the piston ring (s) shot...just wanna kno if I can drive it strictly to work and back until I can afford to get it fixed I work about 7 miles away from home and it just started today..dont wanna have to catch the bus quite frankly

Any long term engine damage could arise? Will it blow to bits just wanna size this situation up before I can tackle it

Thanks guys

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
it sounds like the problem just began.. u'll be fine short term, but it's an issue that needs to be addressed

HotboxF23

Reaction score
So by short term would you say to work and back for the next couple months..cause thats when I get my settlement
Also to note when I keep the rpms low like 2-2.5k the engine is quieter and the smoke doesnt occur much if any at all..is that really helping or is it just in my head? And thanks for the quick reply

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Check compression.

Keep in mind, you have 3 piston rings, 2 for comp, one for oil. Check comp, if ok, means bores are fine. Oil ring 'should' work, but prolly gummed up.

Try 'Seafoam', see if that will clean it.

J0hnalex

Reaction score
I had a similar problem first things i did was Lucas oil treatment. It just thickened up the oil like crazy and it made the car run pretty good afterwards.

I drove the car like that for a couple months put about 3k on the car and it started to get worse. Did an oil change and changed from Lucas to a product called Motor Honey... why do you ask because my local Autozone was out of Lucas lol theres alotta Honda's in my town!

About 6 months go by after i noticed a large amount of burning oil, Then my CEL came on and told me there was a misfire on cyl 1 and a random... Then slowly the car started to run like garbage...

Took the car to my mechanic and did a compression test Cly 4 120lbs cyl 2 125ish bla bla Cly 1 (where the missfire was) 65Lbs and leaking as we speak... Cly 1 was GONE!

Long story short but save 400 bucks and by the JDM F23... for $450.00 the JDM depo in NJ shipped it to my mechanic and he put it in for $500.00

AKa you blew your motor... if you like the car replace it and drive it if you don't like it replace it and sell it because its more cost effective to do so... No one will by a clean car with a blown motor for a decent amount of money!

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Woah man blue smoke does not = blown engine.

Blue smoke is typical of burning oil. As mentioned above this is caused typically by a failure in a piston ring(s). Now, while this is not a good thing, it's not the end of the world either. It's also quite expensive to fix if you're not doing it yourself, which I wouldn't recommend unless you've had experience with tearing down a motor, etc.

With that said, you should be safe driving on it for a while. I would highly recommend keeping an eye on your oil level; topping it off often to keep the engine properly lubricated.

I would also recommend you take the car to a trusted/well respected mechanic and have them take a look. It never hurts to have a professional look at.

Back