Please help. Oil leak

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I guess I replaced the rear balance shaft with a gear drive and the front balance shaft. I am gonna tear the SOB apart tomorrow and try to break the crank sprocket off to replace the front main seal.

The oil pan gasket is still ok. The oil is dripping from the bottom of the timing cover gasket. The only other oil deal would be the front main seal. FML. So hard now FML.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I guess I replaced the rear balance shaft with a gear drive and the front balance shaft. I am gonna tear the SOB apart tomorrow and try to break the crank sprocket off to replace the front main seal.

The oil pan gasket is still ok. The oil is dripping from the bottom of the timing cover gasket. The only other oil deal would be the front main seal. FML. So hard now FML.
Ok, this means you have 2 oil seals and 1 rectangular shaped "O" ring left to replace at that end of the engine (if you decide to change all of them). That "O" ring is located between the oil pump and the engine block, which means you'd have to pull the oil pump off to change it. Personally I don't think that's your problem.

Unfortunately you've got to pull the lower pulley/harmonic balancer to get to the oil pump, and the lower timing gear has to come off.

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
It's that damn crank sprocket that is a PITA. I can't figure out how to get it off.
On my own car, it slipped right on or off. But then I had to replace the key in it, when I replaced the harmonic balancer.
I should mention that it was ready to fall off when I bought the car, not to mention it barely ran.The PO had neglected to do any maintenance, and the crank bolt had loosened up, allowing the harmonic balancer to walk back and forth and wallowing the key way in it. By the time I got the car, the key was bent, and the timing had jumped a tooth. The key that locates the harmonic balancer also goes thru that gear to locate the lower timing position. You might try wiggling out the key with a vice grip, and then see if the gear will slide off. If that doesn't work, then you might need a gear puller.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
It is DONE!!!

Its 3am and I'm tired but the leak is gone. Took some Asianuity, a flat prybar, lots of WD40, a large flathead screw driver, a hammer, and a brass bolt but the crank sprocket came off.

The key was rusted to the crank sprocket and both the key and the sprocket came off as one. I couldn't even tap the key off after the sprocket was off the motor.

The old crank seal was old, brittle, and loose. It came out with hardly any pulling and picking. The new seal was a nice tight fit. No more oil leak!!!! Back to work friday saturday sunday.

I don't feel like formatting pictures but its not much to look at. The deed is done. I'm out.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
It is DONE!!!

Its 3am and I'm tired but the leak is gone. Took some Asianuity, a flat prybar, lots of WD40, a large flathead screw driver, a hammer, and a brass bolt but the crank sprocket came off.

The key was rusted to the crank sprocket and both the key and the sprocket came off as one. I couldn't even tap the key off after the sprocket was off the motor.

The old crank seal was old, brittle, and loose. It came out with hardly any pulling and picking. The new seal was a nice tight fit. No more oil leak!!!! Back to work friday saturday sunday.

I don't feel like formatting pictures but its not much to look at. The deed is done. I'm out.
Great job, well done.:waytogo:
Just gotta love road salt, even in areas where they barely use it.:squintrun:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Hopefully the rear main seal holds out until spring when I can get a new clutch installed. I'm looking forward to dropping that tranny and seeing what's up. I'll most likely go for an Exedy OEM clutch with a lightweight flywheel. I really don't like his rev hang.

Back