THE Tire Review Thread

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Re: THE Tire Review Sticky

Kuhmo Ecsta AST 225/40/18

Paid: $81/tire Discount Tire Direct

Pros: low road noise, price, great handling and traction, when you buy from discount tire direct you get certificate for free replacement if you get a flat.

Cons: None as of yet.

Final Verdict: I would definitely buy them again.

deucescorner

Reaction score

Tire 1)
General Exclaim UHP 225/35/19

Paid: $115/ Tire Rack

Pros: First and formost would be the price and tire wear.

Cons: Not that sticky but considering what I wanted out of them, they will do.

Verdict: I would definitely buy them again.

Tire 2)
Continental ContiSport Contact 2 225/40/18

Paid: $175cdn/ Local Shop in my area

Pros: Decently sticky, and not that loud.

Cons: Price and tire wear, plus I found the sidewall stuck out a little bit too much, I got a little rubbing in the rear.

Verdict: Would not buy again

Tire 3)
Michelin Pilot Sport Rib 225/40/18

Paid: $250cdn/ Local Shop

Pros: God damn were they sticky, gripped everything and I loved the rim protector.

Cons: Wore out way too fast.

Verdict: Not worth the price unless you street race or actually need that kind of stickyness.

Tire 4)
Dunlop Sport FM901

Paid: Don't remember, was a while back.

Pros: Love the thread, very aggresive looking. Tire wear was decent.

Cons: Way too loud, my friends use to tell me that they could hear me coming, and not to mention the sound from the inside. Wasn't that great in rain either.

Verdict: Wouldn't consider buying anymore.

Last edited:

CHID0

Reaction score

Nitto Neo Gens 225/35/18 - high performance
179ea., 30k - Not too sure on the price cause i bought it bundled
Pros - Very sexy tread design IMO, excellent grip on dry, not bad wet handling for a high performance tire
Cons - Even though it was designed for cars running neg camber, I still get significantly more camber wear than i would expect. Less than OEM, but not what i expected. Pretty damn expensive.
Final verdict - I have no basis for comparison since this is the only 18" tire I've had since i got my wheels but since I like the tires overall performance, I'd buy the tire again.

nyknick1015

Reaction score

-Dunlop S-Sport peformance 195 65/15
-Came with the car so free i guess
-Pros - Good unique tread pattern
Cons - It sucks in wet and dry weather, you will be all over the road and wet weather i wouldnt suggest driving over the speed limit
Final verdict - The honda dealership only offers these tires and i wouldnt recommend any one to every buy this tire to any one, i cant wait to get rid of it

[email protected].

Reaction score

You won't go wrong w/ a Bridgestone Pole Position. I had the SO-3's, and now the REO50A Pole Position's. The REO50 and 50A are both good, but the Pole Position's bump it up a notch.

Here's a link if you want to read a ton of user reviews;
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A+Pole+Position

I can't fault these tires at all. Just don't drive them cold. Below 40° they get hard and slippery. Same w/ snow- worse than worthless. But they're not designed for that. They stick in the rain as good as a lot of all-seasons. One thing I really like about them is that they stay quiet in the corners -no squealing whatsoever. No need to draw a cop's attention if you're hitting a corner hard.

Accord2Show

Reaction score

Tire: Pirelli P7000 Super sport 22/40/18
Payed: $500.00
Pros: good grip, nice tread design, nice tread wear, great in the rain. As far as snow never had them in the snow put my stock wheels and tires on.
Con: Very noisy and expensive.

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score

Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity 195/65/R15 - performance sedan tire
Total Paid (tires, mounting, balance, alignment) - $554.72
Pros - Good traction, good wet traction, smooth quiet ride
Cons - Ugly @ss tread pattern, expensive
If my cousin was not a bridgestone/firestone rep I doubt I would have bought these. They are pretty expensive. I got over $100 worth of discounts. But I am glad I went with them. So far I have driven about 1,000 miles on them. They are quiet and they have excellent grip. Especially in the rain. It never snows in Mississippi so I don't give a rat's @ss about how they perform in the snow. They are recommended for upscale Infinity, BMW, Mercedes etc.. sedans. H speed rated. 70k mile warranty. Free tire rotations for the life of the tire. Free tire repair if they catch a nail or something (oohh wow, $550 and they'll slap on a patch for free - someone should get them a medal.) 30 day trial period (If I don't like the tires and it has been 30 days or less, I can swap them for different tires - supposedly for free.)
I do like the tires and it depends if they really last as long as they say they will last. I have high hopes. I would buy them again. Unless they wear out fast. Then I reserve the right to come back and change this post.

f23accord2000

Reaction score

kumho ectsa's 195/65/15
pros- nice design greta on dry pavment and rain
cons-tire only lasted 30k even with rotate tire wore uneven and not so good in snow,very soft tire
michelin mxvp4 195/65/15
pros-great in snow and rain and even better on dry pavment nice quiet on the road also
cons -ok tread design
bridstone potenzas 195/65/15
tire rack.com paid 300 shipped
pros- great handling ,great tread pateren and in the rain and snow wow stuck tothe road even in 8 in snow fall and also when we had 33 inches in mass it was great then and i got full 60k out of them with rotations,and also very quiet for road noise
cons-nead to have a nicer sidewall other then that there the shiz

finch13

Reaction score

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's 205/40/ZR17 - Ultra High-Performance Summer

Price: ~$125/ea

Pros: Extremely good grip on dry pavement (warm and cold). Very low noise up to 130 MPH... Can take 90* corners up to 80 MPH without squeeling.

Cons:
- Treadwear: 260, had about 80% tread on them when I go them, drove on them hard for about 10k miles and now they are worn out.
- Hydroplaning: Only have a single center channel for water. When the tread was newer they were okay in the rain, but now they hydroplane on everything.
- So sticky they pick up tons of sand at low speed and you get to listen to it hit your fenders.
- Rim protector isn't very effective.

Buy Again? If I actually needed the traction I would but them in a heart beat, but the cost and treadwear aren't suitable for my use. Note: I believe Kumho has discontinued these.

Toyo Spectrum 1xx/6x/R14 All-Season Passenger

Price: Free! They came off of a junked Integra

Pros: Great treadwear for the traction (mid-500's), very quiet, good in snow, rain

Cons: Great for regular driving, not for agressive cornering.

Buy Again? If I had a family maybe, not enough grip for my driving habits, but they're great for in between snow tires and summer tires.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 185/65/R14

Price: $80-100/ea

Pros: EXCELLENT snow and ice traction for a studless tire!

Cons: Tirewear between snowfalls/warm weather in horrible. Can get noisy on dry highways at 55+ mph. Steering feels very loose and unresponsive because of the large sidewall and squishy tire compound. Makes your car look like it has offroad truck tires.

Buy Again? Yes. I've had my set for about 6 years now and they have maybe 1 or 2 seasons left of tread. It get's tiring to change them when it isn't snowing but for the cost and life of the tire it's worth it!

Yokohama AVID A4

Price: $80/ea

Pros: Meh.

Cons: I was not impressed by these tires at all. They squealed around corners at >25 mph and they had horrible treadwear for their traction/performance. The tires are discontinued now, but Yokohma has different models in their Avid line now.

Buy Again: No. My friend put newer model AVIDs on his Camry and said they were fine, but my experience has turned me away from Yokohama.

Accordingly

Reaction score

Kumho Ecsta AST (High Performance All Season) 215/45/17

Paid - $67 a tire (on clearance @ local goodyear! :thumbsup:)

Mileage - Got them last summer, no signs of excessive treadwear

Pros - Great price, aggressive looking tread pattern, reasonably quiet, good traction wet/dry

Cons - None yet, may have to update later

Final verdict - Excellent tire for the price. As long as this set lasts, I will purchase again.

Kumho Ecsta 711's (High Performance Summer) 215/45/17

Paid - $100ish a tire

Mileage - about 30,000 miles

Pros - Pretty good price at the time

Cons - Wore unevenly on the edges, even with good alignment/rotation/etc. Would have lasted longer if it weren't for the edges going bald.

Final verdict - Fairly good tire for the price. Probably wouldn't purchase again because I like the AST's better.

Back