Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > General > Off Topic > Life Lessons

Life Lessons Members discussing how to deal with aspects of the daily grind

Register to remove these ads

Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Points: 11,541, Level: 32 Points: 11,541, Level: 32 Points: 11,541, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

xx24xx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The "How I quit Smoking" thread

Has anyone heard of third hand smoke? Read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Don't forget how much the little ones like to put things in their mouth.
When I quit for about a year I will admit that second hand smoke was extremely nauseating. I could almost always tell a smoker before getting within 10 feet or more.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Points: 57,493, Level: 74 Points: 57,493, Level: 74 Points: 57,493, Level: 74

CrosCntryAccord has their shit togetherCrosCntryAccord has their shit togetherCrosCntryAccord has their shit togetherCrosCntryAccord has their shit together
Send a message via AIM to CrosCntryAccord

Originally Posted by xx24xx View Post

Don't forget how much the little ones like to put things in their mouth.
thats just their oral complex (Freud) something that rarely lasts beyond double digit ages.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Read the rules

Points: 35,883, Level: 58 Points: 35,883, Level: 58 Points: 35,883, Level: 58

Wildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to all
Member Photo Albums
Send a message via AIM to Wildman

updated the first post

umm... I don't drive an Accord anymore
Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Read the rules

Wildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to allWildman is a name known to all
Member Photo Albums

bumping this just to see if anyone has additional input, since the topic has come up in recent threads

Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Points: 4,989, Level: 20 Points: 4,989, Level: 20 Points: 4,989, Level: 20

1slosedan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: The "How I quite Smoking" thread

Originally Posted by turbocayenne View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question since i never smoked in my whole life. What makes u guys can't stop from smoking. Do you guys feel something weird in your mouth if you guys not smoking?
I don't know why, but this is making me laugh so hard.

I am currently smoking again. I stopped for a few months.

Chew gum, so you have something in your mouth. The first few days you quit, try and avoid hanging out with your smoking friends. Do not drink for a couple weeks. Every day take the 6 bucks you would have spent on smokes, and transfer it to your savings. Once you see that grow in a month it will make you feel so proud.

Here is where I went wrong, DO NOT smoke anything else in the future. I would sit back with my buddies and smoke a black and mild "because I quit cigarettes". I did that a few times. Caught myself buying a black and mild and smoking it by myself. Then caught myself bumming smokes. Before I knew it, I was back to smoking.

It's all a mind game, tell yourself you won't, and you wont.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Points: 9,190, Level: 28 Points: 9,190, Level: 28 Points: 9,190, Level: 28

Millz is more helpful than most

Using gum and other stuff to substitute smoking only makes you miss it 10x more.

This book really helped me out. Been 4 months and I'll never smoke again.

smoked for 7 years averaging about a pack a day, and more on the weekends

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...?cookieCheck=1
Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Points: 4,989, Level: 20 Points: 4,989, Level: 20 Points: 4,989, Level: 20

1slosedan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Using gum and other stuff to substitute smoking only makes you miss it 10x more.

This book really helped me out. Been 4 months and I'll never smoke again.

smoked for 7 years averaging about a pack a day, and more on the weekends

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...?cookieCheck=1
I have heard GREAT things about that book.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Points: 32,232, Level: 55 Points: 32,232, Level: 55 Points: 32,232, Level: 55

talontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit together

I never thought I would comment in this thread as a non smoker. I got to the point where I never thought I could go a day without a pack of cigarettes, much less 1. I had a lot going on and got to over 2 packs a day. I really wasn't thinking about how much I was smoking until I my financial situation changed and my income became sporadic (perusing music).

First and foremost, I still use nicotine. I do not use tobacco and I don't smoke. I use an electronic cigarette. For those who don't know, you basically vaporize nicotine. It gives you the sensation of smoking with about 4,000 less chemicals.

What you basically are using is the following: Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine, Water, Glycerol, Nicotine (optional). The other chemicals are what is in the flavors.

Now, think about what is in a cigarette. It is a pretty short list. I cannot say it is safe but the FDA has found zero carcinogens in all US manufactured liquids in the last report I read. You also don't have second hand smoke. Well you don't have any smoke but when you exhale, you only exhale water vapor so it is safe for others.

Now, that may seem like "cheating" as it really imitates smoking but I have been able to loose many habits surrounded by smoking. I am also able to go much longer, if I choose, without using any nicotine. I can truly say I feel healthier and when I have had a cigarette, it felt really unhealthy (and really gross as well).

That said, I am obviously using a device that has nicotine so I am now addicted to that instead. I don't know if it is 100% healthy, I am sure there are some issues but the general consensus is that it is much healthier than smoking. It hasn't been around long enough to know the long term affects.

Lastly, I can choose how much nicotine I want in my juice. I can use a high amount, a medium, low, to none. So, when I choose to try to taper off of this, I can step my levels down, even cut the nicotine out without having to quit.

I just wanted to throw out another option so people know more about it. I really never planned on it working. I started with the hope I would cut my smoking in half over a period of time. In one day, my smoking went down to 1/4 of what it was. In 2 weeks, i could easily not smoke for days on end. My girlfriend still smokes so I would have one every now and then and just stopped liking them. It didn't take much will power at all.

For those who are interested, check out http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

I don't know if you can really say this route is "quitting" but it is a really positive step in my eyes.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Read the rules

Member Photo Albums

Congratulations, glad to hear bud. I've had one around for a few years and also used it to quit. Nice to have on hand when drinking with buddies who smoke, or when you go through stressful periods and are tempted to buy a pack - just pick up the e-cig instead.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Points: 32,232, Level: 55 Points: 32,232, Level: 55 Points: 32,232, Level: 55

talontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit together

Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Congratulations, glad to hear bud. I've had one around for a few years and also used it to quit. Nice to have on hand when drinking with buddies who smoke, or when you go through stressful periods and are tempted to buy a pack - just pick up the e-cig instead.
Yup, great idea for someone who has truly quit nicotine, plus, if you want, you can use one for the sensation without nicotine.

I got sick for a few days and didn't even use my E-Cig while I was sick. I am someone who would try my best not to smoke for the first 24 hours but once I feel the least bit better, I start smoking here and there, and before I am well, I am back smoking regular, making me stay sick for much longer. I was able to go 48 hours without using this, still a bit sick but that was a big deal for me. I don't seem to be staying sick for very long, probably a combination of the fact I haven't been smoking tobacco in combination with being able to just not use nicotine. Now that I am using nicotine (but no tobacco), it seems that it isn't prolonging it.