Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > General > Off Topic > Life Lessons

Life Lessons Members discussing how to deal with aspects of the daily grind

Register to remove these ads

Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned
Points: 38,196, Level: 60 Points: 38,196, Level: 60 Points: 38,196, Level: 60
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

AllGOnoSHOW should be someone you can trustAllGOnoSHOW should be someone you can trust
Re: Friend with serious problem

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6 View Post
No worries man, if that's what works for you that's awesome, I'm just saying that it's not, and has never been for me. I have been to a **** ton of meetings and I find them mostly depressing.

And when I was referring to crazy twelve steppers, I meant the people that are completely dependent on it, and think that if they miss a meeting they are straight up going to get high.

BTW, what organization do you work for?
LOL I know exactly what you are talking about. The way I look at it is first of all I love going to meetings BUT staying clean has afforded me a life and a lot of responsibilities that I can't ignore. I go to meetings when I can and usually that's about 4 a week maybe. It is now my choice to stay clean, ya know? Alcohol and drugs isn't going to jump out of the bushes and go into my mouth or veins . I respect the people who don't go to meetings and all that because like I said I know there are a lot of ways people get clean and stay clean.

I work for Cornerstone Of Recovery and I work with the 17 to 25 year olds doing all sorts of things. I am a Residential Substance Abuse Counselor in the process of getting my RAS and LADAC.. takes forever ha.

Harsh yes, but if its between him hating me for a year, or him dying....I'll take him hating me for a year. He'll eventually get over me throwing him in a padded room once he wakes up and realizes why I did it.

I don't **** around when it comes to **** like this.
And I tend to lean on the tough love type of philosophy as well. I've seen a lot of friends and family members "kill" someone by enabling them. We have someone here at COR who specializes in Intervention's and programs / Group therapy etc he is multi skilled, and on rare occasions I've seen someone get clean just because an intervention was done and he/she finally understood some of the damage that they caused with their addictions.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Points: 33,005, Level: 55 Points: 33,005, Level: 55 Points: 33,005, Level: 55
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

2000BlackCoupe is more helpful than most
Member Photo Albums

Yeah I can see that, clearly. I've never been in a situation like this before, thank God, but I just did not have a clue about how we should attack this. Once we all can, we'll have a nice little talk with him, and I feel like if we tell him we'll do the inpatient thing, he'll stop, or at least start to realize what he is doing is wrong, and we care.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Grillin' rape steaks

Points: 69,072, Level: 81 Points: 69,072, Level: 81 Points: 69,072, Level: 81

JMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to allJMillerUA6 is a name known to all
Member Photo Albums
Send a message via AIM to JMillerUA6

Originally Posted by AllGOnoSHOW View Post

I work for Cornerstone Of Recovery and I work with the 17 to 25 year olds doing all sorts of things. I am a Residential Substance Abuse Counselor in the process of getting my RAS and LADAC.. takes forever ha.
Man....working with young males is really tough. Hardheaded as hell, and they want to do everything their way.

I was in the Phoenix House in Springfield, MA. I'm sure you have heard of them. When I got out of the PH I had thought about getting my LADAC because the Program Director there said she would give me an internship and a job when I was done. I really enjoy helping people out in recovery, I still visit the PH at least once a week but I would never want it to be my job. I feel like if I did it every day, I would stop enjoying it, and I don't want to stop enjoying it.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

AllGOnoSHOW should be someone you can trustAllGOnoSHOW should be someone you can trust

Yeah working in this type of field can sure suck the life out of some people. I have a huge passion for helping people as well and I've been doing it now for over 3 years. Don't get me wrong though I reevaluate my career all the time and ask myself "is this really worth it?" only because if I am not careful it just becomes another job and I lose all passion for helping people and all that good stuff. But it is what it is and everytime I search for another job or whatever something pulls me back. The people at my job are more of a family than I've ever had so it makes it extra hard to just "up and leave" them. Congratulations on the life turn around thing. I know exactly what it's like haha. O Yeah

Nice Sig However she does need a tighter bathing suit..... Or on further investigation.. a more revealing one.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Points: 1,278, Level: 9 Points: 1,278, Level: 9 Points: 1,278, Level: 9

beLIEver is an unknown quantity at this point

It's cool to see you guys got into the field helping other addicts. I never could take counselors seriously if they hadn't also been through what I've been through.

I tried the 12 step programs and they weren't for me. When I strive for complete abstinence I always trip up bad. It will sound crazy and I know and understand the dangers, but I have a twice a year rule I have set for myself. I use once every 6 months and it has worked for the last 7 years. I have never deviated from it and never will.

Perfection is an obsession of mine and when I was trying complete abstinience I would count the days and I found myself thinking about not doing dope so much that it created cravings that I always succumbed to. The 12 step meetings strongly discourage my game plan and say that the risk are too great. I have respect for the programs, but they are about total abstinence and by me being there I feel like I am disrepecting their message.

I understand the advice about stepping back and allowing him to feel the pain associated with this drug, but unfortunately this is dangerous as each individual react differently to the powers of addiction. I had 1 friend that used heroin recreationally for 2 years before it took complete control, but with me it only took a few weeks and I was already full blown.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

I respect your opinions and even tho I "preach" complete abstinence, people should find whatever works for them and do it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Member Photo Albums

Well, I went to the gas station last night for some Black and Mild's with a couple buddies who were going to get a dutch, and BOOM, we see "Jeb" there. My friends didn't know about his heroin use, and "Jeb" was with another friend of mine, buying a dutch as well, and I also don't know if he knows either, so I let it go. It was really awkward though, even just saying hi as friends, I can't imagine how its going to be when we sit him down.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Member Photo Albums

update: my brother just informed me that while he was in syracuse over the weekend a few weeks ago, his group of friends had their meeting, and i missed it. but supposedly he has been clean for a little less than 4 weeks, which is huge. thanks for the support guys.

Mods feel free to lock up
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Points: 55,510, Level: 72 Points: 55,510, Level: 72 Points: 55,510, Level: 72

SykVSyx has their shit togetherSykVSyx has their shit togetherSykVSyx has their shit together

That is great news, but I don't think this means that the situation is necessarily over.

If I might suggest, maybe this thread can remain open for a bit, because I think it's useful for other people who may be going through the same thing either with friends/family or themselves, and I think it's important that there is a place to discuss this type of thing.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Member Photo Albums

true, i didn't really think of it like that. what should i change the name of the thread to to make it easier to find if somebody does need help (god forbid)?