ABS Motor Lock code: 51

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
While I wait for my car to get in at the mechanic I would like to fix some of the other issues it has. One of which is the ABS system. Using a paperclip in the OBD port I got it to flash the code 51: ABS Motor Lock. The car had been hit up in the corner by the ABS modulator (i think that's what it's called) The ground wire going to the ABS motor was cut most of the way through and the power wire had a small nick in it. Also the clip the makes the connector only plug in one way is broken off. What I did was flip the plug over and plug it in so only the positive is connected and the ground prong is just sticking out above the connector. Then I made a new ground wire running from the ground point on the driver's side of the engine to the ABS motor because I saw a TSB on this saying it could be caused by a bad ground. (I'll post a picture of it later when I get a chance so it's easier to understand what I'm talking about)

I also noticed a small flat area on the top of the motor that runs the ABS system. Is this flat spot normal or should it be completely round? Also is there a way to test the actual motor to see if its actually bad or just bad wiring somewhere?

I already tried clearing the code, but it came back after driving a few feet.

Also does anyone know what actually makes it set this code? Like excessive current draw without spinning or just no current draw or does it just sense that its not spinning? Also I already checked the fuse for the ABS motor and it looks ok.

james'99

Reaction score
Haven't dealt with this code myself but I would look at getting that wiring fixed first. Seems like the easiest place to start.

Back