UPDATED: Evan's Quest for a J32 6MT 6GA

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Got the harmonic balancer off tonight and the lower timing cover. That was extremely tight. Took a torch and two pry bars to get it off.

055f706527711dba39bc1555a44851dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time.

Good time indeed.

003 by Evan Aschbacher, on Flickr

Now just waiting for my tensioner to get here, so I can change the front main, timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. Then I can re-install the covers, put the J37 Manifold on, and hopefully be closer to tear it down. Only real reason I have't tore it down yet is I don't have a place to do it.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Haven't updated this in a while. The car and all of the swap stuff is getting ready to be done. Just dropped the car off where I'm doing the swap.
a174cb1c47252f14d1d9f246e8819964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Alright, havent updated this in a while and have some good infomation.

First off, motor and transmission are out. Auto engine harness, ECU, shifter, cables and a few other things are out.

Transmission has been mounted to the motor, everything torqued down. Timing belt, water pump, tensioners, starter, slave cylinder, cam sensors, everything.
Motor mounts are in place and just waiting on a few more parts. Here's some information though.

1.) If you are using an auto motor, you will need a different rear mount bracket if you go with the Innovative mounts. Part Number: 50827-S3M-A00

2.) Transmission solenoids can break relatively easy and are very expensive for what they are. Part Number: 28250-PYZ-003

3.) Air assist valves will break and they are not hard to find, if you know what you are looking for. People will tell you that parts stores have them, they dont. Part Number: 36202-P8E-A01

Here's a few pictures.

Untitled by Evan Aschbacher, on Flickr

I'll have to get a better picture of this plug, but it is on the manual lower harness that plugs into the manual ECU. The infamous "third plug". You can still order the harness from Acura, but it isn't cheap. From what I've talked to Varnell and a few others about, you really only need this plug. So, if you can find a deal on a lower dash harness and it has this plug, take it.

Transmission soleniod that costs anywhere from 225-312. Don't break this. Mine was broken when I bought the trans, I believe.

Comparison shot. Manual sits higher than I thought it would.

Empty space. PO apparently rolled his own cigarettes and chewed a lot of gym. So many gum wrappers underneath the auto shifter. Pulled out at least three five stick packs of gym, countless wrappers, and a few lighters.

Engine getting ready to go in

32 pin port on the manual ECU. If there is not a blank spot, its an auto ECU. I'll have to take a comparison shot.

Good ole auto shifter. Never gave me one issue. If anyone wants the shifter, complete with the cable, bracket, and few other ends, let me know.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Good progress. Interested to know/see more about said air assist valves.

Your shifter is CL-S, right?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Good progress. Interested to know/see more about said air assist valves.

Your shifter is CL-S, right?

I'll grab you a picture tomorrow. My shifter is 7th Gen, I believe. The only reason I say that, is that the holes do not line up very well. But he had this thing in his sedan. So might have to drill some holes in the plastic to get it to line up

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Things are happening!!! Nice progress when u swap from auto to manual computers do u need to re pin anything or is it just plug and play I'm doing my 5spd swap soon and wanted to know. I guess I have to re pin the clutch switch?

TurboAccord99

Reaction score
Evan, did you get a chance to try the J30 rear mounting bracket? I remember reading that the J30 bracket works with the Innovative mounts. If not, I'm out $100+ as well...

Back