Hard brake pedal

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been experiencing a hard brake pedal in my 98 V6 Accord before start-up. Its like someone jumped in my car and pumped the brakes several times. I know its probably the brake booster losing vacuum, but my question is that I was wondering if this is a big deal? Ive researched that it could be the check valve. If I wont lose power assist while I'm driving, I don't really care.

My case is weird though. It just started recently, and I thought it might be the cold (averaging around -20C), but today we got a lot of snow so it was mild, around -7C, and even when I parked the car for just 40 mins, when I returned, the pedal was rock hard.

So should I get this checked out? How serious is this problem? And how much would it be to fix this problem?

jwong512

Reaction score
That's a very strange thing. I would assume the opposite would happen in most cases where the person gets a spongy brake pedal if there was a leak. Try doing a bleed or flush, depending on how dirty the fluid is and put some fresh stuff inside.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
my brake pedal is usually hard when i get in the car. does it loosen up once you start it?

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
That's a very strange thing. I would assume the opposite would happen in most cases where the person gets a spongy brake pedal if there was a leak. Try doing a bleed or flush, depending on how dirty the fluid is and put some fresh stuff inside.

I thought a spongy brake pedal was due to air in the brake lines?? Weird. If it was summer I definitely would. Actually, this summer I will probably change the brake fluid along with all other fluids.

@2000BlackCoupe,

Yes as soon as I start the car is goes right back to normal. They operate the same, feel the same, absolutely no difference. I've always started the car while pressing down on the brakes though, otherwise I would not have noticed any difference. This just started last week, which is what I found weird. Has yours done this for a long time?

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
haha you can use multiquote (button next to quote) then click quote btw.

im not really sure how long its been doing this, i only notice when i park on hills, because i leave it in first then when i go to push the clutch in to start it i put my foot on the brake so i dont roll back since my e brake sucks. so i only notice/care when im on a hill

jwong512

Reaction score
It might be related to the temperature then. I would recommend a bleed/flush only because I would assume the fluid isn't holding up that well if it's being easily affected like this but that's only my assumption.

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
haha you can use multiquote (button next to quote) then click quote btw.

im not really sure how long its been doing this, i only notice when i park on hills, because i leave it in first then when i go to push the clutch in to start it i put my foot on the brake so i dont roll back since my e brake sucks. so i only notice/care when im on a hill

Thanks!! Haha I was wondering why I didn't see this button, but the first time I hit quote I wasn't logged in. Its good to know that someone else's Accord does this. As long as the power brakes don't cut out on me while I'm driving, I don't care. My friend had an old Jeep without power brakes and it didn't look fun lol.
I hear you about the hill thing. My other car is standard and I never push the foot brake before I start unless I'm on a hill. It's a scary feeling to start rolling backwards when you don't expect it!

It might be related to the temperature then. I would recommend a bleed/flush only because I would assume the fluid isn't holding up that well if it's being easily affected like this but that's only my assumption.

Thanks! I'm hoping it will hold up until spring though. It just snowed 15cm and is still snowing, and when its not snowing, its -20C out lol. I don't really want to pay the dealership to do this unless I absolutely have to, as I am a college student and have no money to keep up with 2 cars.
The tensioner pulley went over the new years and set me back. Can't complain too much though, with 256,000kms and 13 years old, not much has gone wrong at all.

Thanks for the help guys!

001Stunna

Reaction score
I get that in my car if i press the brakes 2-3 times when the car is off, then the pedal gets stiff. However once the car is started all is fine.
Do you by any chance press on your brakes after turning off the car, possibly accidentally lol?

Try turning off the car, lift your parking brake and leave it for 30mins-1hour. Then when you go back don't touch the brake pedal and start the car. Press on the pedal...is it hard???

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
if u step on the brakes with the car off, it will get hard faster 2-3 pumps.... tht means ur brake booster is working.... if it's still soft, u have issues..

Back