98 Honda Accord making strange noises

thurman.

Reaction score
While my car is idling it makes a "tapping" sound. I put it in park to investigate the sound and it goes away. Only makes it at idle. It's like it from the steering wheel or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Does the noise change if you turn the steering wheel? And does it do it just in drive? I would try putting various loads on the engine like AC on/off, headlights on/off, rear defroster on/off etc. If it just does it in drive and not in park it sounds like it might have some sort of correlation with amount of load on the engine. I would try turning some of the things mentioned above on and off as well as a combination of them and see how it effects the noise then report back with your findings.

thurman.

Reaction score
Does the noise change if you turn the steering wheel? And does it do it just in drive? I would try putting various loads on the engine like AC on/off, headlights on/off, rear defroster on/off etc. If it just does it in drive and not in park it sounds like it might have some sort of correlation with amount of load on the engine. I would try turning some of the things mentioned above on and off as well as a combination of them and see how it effects the noise then report back with your findings.

Great I will do put certain loads on it. But mainly it does it at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Putting a load on the engine doesn't make it stop idling. As long as your not pushing on the gas it's idling. (Assuming the car is stationary anyways) I would let it warm up and have it in park then turn on the AC and the rear defroster and see if the noise changes.

Back