P1259 cel, No vtec yo:[

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
So my check engine light is on and I got it diagnosed to being P1259 "variable valve timing electronic control system bank 1 malfunction". I just want some help on a few things because i've been told so many different things.

1. Is it still fine to drive? I unplugged my vtec wire(the one behind the dizzy) so that it doesn't engage. Just to make sure I don't mess anything up I guess.

2. Will this issue mess up my valves? I was told by a shop manager that it is a posibility.

and the most important...
3. How do I fix this? I haven't got a clue.

*EDIT: I saw a thread that said this problem may be due to low oil level, but my dipstick reads fine. Might do an oil change just to be safe though. But some responses would be nice just incase this doesn't solve the problem. My apologies for not searching thouroughly enough.

Last edited:

JediYuhdigg

Reaction score
After searching around a bit, its labeled in my haynes manual as a "Vtec malfunction". Found a couple fixes, most common was low oil. Here's one persons fix for that problem I found on honda-tech

I cleared the code to see when it would come back. Generally if it comes on at idle or under 4000rpms it electrical .... as in the Vtec pressure sensor is bad, it has a bad connection, or a damaged wire ; at or over 4000rpms its usually oil pressure related.... as in low oil level, clogged screen, or the Vtec solenoid has gone bad, etc.

Well after clearing the code two or three times it would throw the CEL with the key in the on position with the engine off ... so I concluded it must be electrical and suspected the Vtec pressure sensor...

I removed the sensor and priced a replacement through AZ and it was $80 and special order ... so I cleaned (and accidentally dropped ) the sensor to replace it just so the car would be driveable until I could get another sensor.

But when I replaced the sensor and reconnected the battery cable the code did not come back I drove it and it now accelerates above 4000rpms which it wouldn't with the CEL

Hope this helps someone else with a P1259 code.

kwak123

Teehee
Reaction score
the v-tec code doesn't mean solenoid's damaged, its just the solenoid picks it up first. the reason why lack of oil set off the v-tec code was the oil pressure sensor wouldn't engage, so the v-tec solenoid wouldnt engage either, and the sensor's only connected to the solenoid it seems. so check the solenoid, make sure there's no sludge anywhere, then you gotta start checking all your sensors

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
my guess would be low oil, or clogged sensor. I've driven around w/o the vtec solonoid working for months. I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying....

Drift

Reaction score
Have you checked the VTEC screen? Those commonly get clogged and need to be replaced or cleaned.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
my guess would be low oil, or clogged sensor. I've driven around w/o the vtec solonoid working for months. I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying....

Yeah I'm hoping its just oil. I'm gonna do an oil change at my buddies shop in about an hour, and if that doesn't fix the problem we'll go from there.

Have you checked the VTEC screen? Those commonly get clogged and need to be replaced or cleaned.

Lol just like the lint screen on my drying machine right?

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
I got the same issue dude. Checked my vtec solenoid and it's fine. I'm losing a ton of oil weekly yet it's not dripping on the ground. It's going to the shop Monday to be checked out

Back