I smell paint fumes...

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
So ive noticed over the past week that my car smells like paint fumes. Its coming through the a/c vents. The engine bay itself doesnt smell like it but the cabin does.

Ive read about injector lines leaking onto the engine but i dont have leaks anywhere. I have also read that it could be a ba fuel filter so ill change that but i would like to know if any of you have had this problem and what you did to fix it.

98 v6 .

Thanks, Kyle

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I don't know about paint fumes, but if it's a sweet kind of smell, then it might be your heater core, if it's more of say an exhaust smell, you might have an exhaust leak from your headers.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Nah, its not an exhaust leak although i do have one but i know that smell. And i tried rationalizing that it was my painted engine cover but i did that years ago and with high heat paint.

It more of a strong paint fume smell or nail polish remover. Nothing of the sort has been spilled into my car and the smell is definitely coming through the vents only. Does the a/c gas go bad or something? Idk what this could be. It only started this last week. Its an extremely strong smell and gives me a headache.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
In that case, you might have a leak in your AC system. I believe that stuff (freon (sp?)) smells like acetone (nail polish remover)

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
I think it might be the thing behind the dash.... You know, where the heater core is, but the thing for the a/c..... Whats that called? That thing lol. I think theres a leak there because its not in the engine bay, its only through the vents.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
:lawl:

So i just drove in the car and even with the air off its pushing the smell through... Its to the point now that i am completely engulfed in this thick smell... :ugh:

Back