2 windshield cracks!!!

datechboss101

Reaction score
Guys, I got two windshield cracks, not on my CG, but on the Rogue! This is the second time in 6 months that the van got a crack on the windshield and its also the biggest crack we had on any car we owned. My situation here is dealer might be able to replace it for free with proof of insurance tomorrow (if they have windshields in stock) or I have to make an appointment with Safelite to replace the windshield. Insurance on the other hand, is making a claim that the factory seal is going to shot once the windshield is replaced... So which one is the best choice for me? Dealer (has the service records of the Rogue) or Safelite (insurance partner).

Enne

Reaction score
Is this really a question worth posting on a forum about? Just get it done.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
For real. Call around and find out who will do the job the cheapest. Then find out if your insurance will cover it. My 6th gen cost me 200 cash for a windshield. I upped my coverage for glass coverage after I had it replaced. Now I pay the 1st 100 on it.

Did it happen on the freeway on your way to/from school? In a construction zone? Tell them it did, as gravel from broken highways is common where I live.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Best thing to do is not follow so close.
On the last road trip in her 00 Accord, while going thru a construction zone in Oklahoma City, I had a rock fly over the Jersey barrier at 55 on my way to Texas and chipped and then cracked the windshield. Coming back, I had another 1 fly over the barrier in Indianapolis at 65mph. That 1 scared me (hit right in front of me), as I thought it was coming thru.:squintrun: The 2 cracks met in front of the passenger, and have basically stopped growing. A buddy of mine had a rock go thru a windshield @70mph. That was scary according to him. He even has the inner piece of glass on his wall of shame. He paid the first 100 and had it replaced as he has full coverage on his truck.

OP,Sorry to hear about the cracked glass, but if you drive enough, it's bound to happen.

OP. the "multi quote" function doesn't work for me.:shrug:

Last edited:

datechboss101

Reaction score
Yesterday, i called the glass shop that the dealer recommended and the insurance said they are partners with them, so I had the entire windshield replaced at the dealer's body shop for free.
I wanted to find out if it is worth it to replace the entire windshield or just repair the crack. Whats wrong about that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Enne

Reaction score
You didn't ask that question. But in case you need to know, if the crack is longer than a dollar bill, it's time to replace the whole windshield. Smaller than a dollar bill, you can probably get it filled.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
You didn't ask that question. But in case you need to know, if the crack is longer than a dollar bill, it's time to replace the whole windshield. Smaller than a dollar bill, you can probably get it filled.

Yup, and a chip bigger than a dime requires replacement of the windshield.

The reason for replacing if longer than a dollar is because the windshield is "compromised", as it's an integral part of the SRS (air bag system).

datechboss101

Reaction score
Yup, and a chip bigger than a dime requires replacement of the windshield.

The reason for replacing if longer than a dollar is because the windshield is "compromised", as it's an integral part of the SRS (air bag system).

Agreed. My dad didn't want to take the risk of the crack and it both of those cracks were in the Field of view of the Driver, which can get annoying and distracting while driving. After that happened, I garaged that car we had to use the CG for the evening.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I drove with a cracked windshield for years. Lol I was broke and couldn't afford a new shield. Sold it as is. My DD 98 accord has a cracked windshield but it's in the bottom drivers side so it doesn't affect my vision. I'm not getting it replaced. I'll fill in the bullseye this summer and call it good haha

Back