DIY: Molding your own emblems

Raymond

Reaction score
Came out great despite the fact that you had to do so much work to get 'em right, but you could definitley make some money selling 'em now! Nice work!

6genaccord

Reaction score
Let us know if you're going to start selling them!! I'd def buy one instead of painting mine... lol

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
that is allot of work pretty crazy!!!

did you buy all of this stuff so you could just make enbelems?? tell us what else you have in mind please.

HomerJay

Reaction score
that is allot of work pretty crazy!!!

did you buy all of this stuff so you could just make enbelems?? tell us what else you have in mind please.
Oh, no...you've figured it out!...:) Originally, I did buy this all just for the emblems. Also it was a basic curiosity. Moldmaking is something I've never tried before. As it always goes, I now have something else in mind as a result. Yes, it's Accord related...;)

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
pretty sweet, I might have to use that to make some stuff.

btw, I've used acetone to remove the chrome from plastic car parts before. Just scrub it with a cotton ball/rag soaked in the acetone and it comes right off. If there are tough spots a little 2000 grit sand paper. I did the entire grill from my parents explorer in about an hour. Then you can paint the clean plastic and it will stick.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
this is also (roughly) how you make clear plastic lenses for things like replacement amber strips...

HomerJay

Reaction score
this is also (roughly) how you make clear plastic lenses for things like replacement amber strips...
You're right. In fact, one of the demos at Alumilite is for replacement tail lights:

Tail Light Molding w/o Equipment
Tail Light Casting w/o Equipment

The clear silicone technique used for the front emblem is a bit different. I found a video on Freeman Supply that showed how to mold using clear silicone. They were also the only place that sold clear moldmaking silicone.

Using black casting resin wouldn't make for very effective tail lights...;)

Based on what the demo sites are using the plastic for, it would seem to be pretty durable. I drive ~40 miles a day on the highway so I'm sure I'll know just how durable soon enough. Hopefully, I won't be busy molding replacement front emblems due to issues...naturally, I can't go back to chrome! I noticed the first problem with the tinted one within a week or so.

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
Job well done bro.
Like others have said, if you decide to sell keep us updated - I would be willing to shell out some $$ for a set of front and rears.

Back