DIY: How to polish aluminum wheels.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score

9450erick

Reaction score
pics of it mounted on car and a little far back :) looks great btw i want to polish my cf hood, by just sanding. maybe start with 1,000 then 1500 then 2000 then 2500. and use mothers wax on that b. lol

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
pics of it mounted on car and a little far back :) looks great btw i want to polish my cf hood, by just sanding. maybe start with 1,000 then 1500 then 2000 then 2500. and use mothers wax on that b. lol

Will be mounted next week or so after I get paid tomorrow haha.

I don't think you'll be able to polish the CF hood since it is made out of Carbon Fiber material. Maybe an OEM hood after you strip the paint, but I'd say it would be a pain in the *** to maintain it haha.

Nocture

Reaction score
Mounted on my 5th gen. They look great, polished the center caps as best as I could

448EA619-8958-45D1-B314-B9AF053005BD-20778-000014761DD2DA3C.jpg

rdxd

Reaction score
Awesome write up - definitely going to DIY this - also - noob question - the reason we use paintstripper first is to remove any coating on the original wheel correct? - because my wheels aren't painted :p jst need clarification

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Awesome write up - definitely going to DIY this - also - noob question - the reason we use paintstripper first is to remove any coating on the original wheel correct? - because my wheels aren't painted :p jst need clarification

Thanks

Yes. If you're wheels are in rough shape, painted, or clear coat is just giving out. The aircraft paint remover takes care of all that junk.

If they aren't painted, were they previously polished/dipped/powdercoated, either way, you'll have to remove any layer and get to the bare metal.

Just beware to not touch/eat/get into contact with the paint remover in anyway on bare skin.

rdxd

Reaction score
Thanks

Yes. If you're wheels are in rough shape, painted, or clear coat is just giving out. The aircraft paint remover takes care of all that junk.

If they aren't painted, were they previously polished/dipped/powdercoated, either way, you'll have to remove any layer and get to the bare metal.

Just beware to not touch/eat/get into contact with the paint remover in anyway on bare skin.

Thanks for the input - going to be trying it out within the next week! repped

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score
I know a little something about this. Not fun at all, and very time consuming process, but its well worth the outcome if you have the time.

IMG_1647.jpg

Back