Wagon-izing a US sedan?

Rymel

Reaction score
Sup all, got a crazy idea in my head I'm hoping others can provide some constructive input on. But PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, AND SOME OF THE BAD, don't use the dreaded and very much useless "anything can be done with enough time and money" line (or anything similar). Looking for input, not an obvious general statement.

So I got the bug a few days ago after being offered a slightly beat up 99 sedan fixer upper for $700 to see if I could wagonize it. At first I figured I could simply reuse the factory rear windshield, chop up the trunk to fab the rear hatch, fab hinges and cover up the rear third window areas with sheet metal. But it'd look too much like a hearse and that's kinda no bueno. But the idea still stuck and I kicked it around in my head further.

Then I realized something...aren't Odysseys build on a heavily modified accord platform? So it got me thinking...if the widths aren't too vastly different...could I steal rear end parts from the minivan (c-pillar on), and fabricate a wagon rear end? Maybe not part for part, but enough to work from. I realize the odyssey is like 5" wider but the rear hatch may not be. Anyway I was thinking of taking the rear windows and possibly surrounding body/frame, and the rear hatch. Chop the hatch from below the window and weld it to the rear of the sedan's trunk lid and fashion a new hatch that would line up with the original trunk latch point. New roof could be made from sheet metal, and the extended body frame could be fabricated using square bar stock at the body shop. Basically I want to extend the roofline, add windows and a hatch. I want to retain the tail light arrangement as I rather like it. And then eventually J-swap to back up the new look.

I called the Albany DMV technical office to ask about the procedure to register a body type change, and he said just register it. No inspection, no custom car status. They'll note the change in the system and it'll pop up if say, the police run the VIN on a pullover. He also said it wasn't really a major change so it would be fine. I'm not certain of course but it is coming from the technical offices.

*takes breath* phew. That was a lot. So, what do you guys think? Can anyone provide any insights?

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
Honestly, I think this is the first time this has come up on here that I can remember. Prob for good measure...not worth the time or effort. But if you can pull it off, more power to ya

Rymel

Reaction score
If I was concerned with time investment I'd ask if it was worth it and if I was asking that its clearly not worth my time :p. I'm more interested in finding out if I'm the only one that's seeing the possibility it might work (well)

Rymel

Reaction score
I would like to point though, that just because it's never been mentioned before doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It may simply mean it hasn't been thought of. Most people stop at "oh, only accord wagon for that gen was JDM" and call it a day.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
easier and cheaper to buy a 4th or 5th gen accord wagon and swapping in the 6ga front

Rymel

Reaction score
Y'know I was kinda hoping for intelligent discussion. If you feel it's bad, state why. Trolling does nothing. It is easier to just get a 5th gen, but I'm having trouble finding one in my area to my liking. And I find the idea of changing a body type fun.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Y'know I was kinda hoping for intelligent discussion. If you feel it's bad, state why. Trolling does nothing. It is easier to just get a 5th gen, but I'm having trouble finding one in my area to my liking. And I find the idea of changing a body type fun.

Welcome to 6thgenAccord.com, it is what it is around here. 99% smart a$$, 1% helpful knowledge.

I am not car body savvy, we need someone who is familiar with body work to chime in...or at least photoshop a pic to give us an idea if it would look ok, or like complete a$$.

ninjacord

Reaction score
Hey man im all about it. Ive always had the idea of turning my coupe into a hatchback. Good luck. Haters guna hate. Do what makes ya happy

Back