Valve Clearance

001Stunna

Reaction score
At the parts store rigjt now posting from my phone. Does anybody knkw what size the feeler / shims are?

You're probably long gone from the parts store but just in case when you go back lol

i4
Intake: 0.26 mm (0.010 in.)±0.02 mm (0.0008 in.)
Exhaust: 0.30 mm (0.012 in.)±0.02 mm (0.0008 in.)

v6
Intake: 0.20-0.24 mm (0.008-0.009 in.)
Exhaust: 0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.)

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I was way long gone at that point. But, I picked up what I think will work. Package is still at home unopened. And based on what you're saying there, I'm good! :D

Thanks for the info!

0425131703.jpg

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Yep, those look good.
I find the sets like the one you are holding, with the screwed together shims, are very handy, allowing you to remove the shims and use them individually. Just don't loose one in the engine somewhere - I think that would be hard, but not impossible to do!

So for the inlets use the .008" to set the gap, then check to make sure you can't get the .009" in. Same for the exhaust, just use .012" as the "go" and .013" as the "no go". The exhaust gaps are bigger because the exhaust valve gets hotter and expands more than the inlet.

Just for fun, make a table of the gaps before you set them, it would be good practice in the use of the feelers. It can be hard to get the feeler in line with the gap, as some of the approach angles are awkward, but the light sliding force is the thing you are after.

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
You have this picture, but you don't say which one is the intake and which one is the exhaust. Is it ones closest to the intake manifold that are the intake valves or are those the exhaust valves? I imagine it'll be the same for the other side.

12valvegear.jpg

001Stunna

Reaction score
You have this picture, but you don't say which one is the intake and which one is the exhaust. Is it ones closest to the intake manifold that are the intake valves or are those the exhaust valves? I imagine it'll be the same for the other side.

12valvegear.jpg

In your picture you've got
::Rear::
Exhaust
Intake
Intake
Exhaust
::Front::

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
These are the inlets
REMEMBER - to see the words with the pictures, you have to scroll down and on the right hand side - open up the MEDIA INFO drop down arrow.

I create these guides using a different method now - using powerpoint, so the words can't get lost

Back