Suspension Installation::Coupe

pattywak

Reaction score
With the imminent arrival of my Tokico Blues and the Stechs sitting in my closet, I'm looking to the installation of my suspension. The most common estimate for having a shop do it is around 200$ so my friend and I are going to try to do it ourselves since he works at Toyota and has access to the tools there.

I found this site and it has a lot of helpful DIY writeups, but the DIY for suspension is for a sedan and not a coupe. I figure the front will be the same, but my guess is that the rears are different.

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/suspension/index.php

Is it different? If so, how do I access them? I plan on doing this over spring break coming up so any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

nexTOme

Reaction score
yeah, GJ on deciding doing DIY on your suspension....its not hard at all....
its just simple bolts here and there, bam! thats it....

i also have a sedan, so dunno how it is different, but you can just kinda look around where bolts are, how they are held against flame and what not....im pretty sure you can gain access to rear suspension easily....

good luck!

pattywak

Reaction score
I figured starting by taking the rear seats out haha.

Oh boy I can see this already...me and my buddy in the toyota garage until early hours of the morning..."Is this right? Do I take this out? Where does this go?"
haha.

nexTOme

Reaction score
i dont think you take the whole seat out.....:thinking:

most would be like....taking side panel if you coupe-ers have one....

:dunno......

pattywak

Reaction score
Oh.

Haha see we would have already wasted time taking them out. Any coupe-ers out there who did their own install and can offer some advice?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if he works at toyota...tell me he doesnt actually get to touch the cars that come in :ughrun:

suspension isnt hard...nothing is really that hard on cars :lawl:

HomerJay

Reaction score
You won't need to remove your rear seats. You will need to put them down, though. Then...

1. Remove the gray plastic trim that covers the seat latches.
  2. Unscrew the speaker grilles from the trunk. They make the rear tray rigid and more difficult to remove.
  3. Coax the rear tray cover out. GENTLY (I broke one of mine!...:() bend trim as needed. The rear tray will remain stuck on the seat belt; I just moved it out of the way.
  4. Remove two bolts from each strut.
It's been a while since I did mine but that's what I recall. It was a bit sketchy getting into the car when I jacking the suspension off the jack stands but overall, it's not that difficult a DIY. I'm very happy with the improvement...:D

pattywak

Reaction score
Thanks HomerJay!
Hopefully my subs won't get in the way.

Will we need to access the back while the car is up? I ask only because they have lifts there and I'm afraid of heights. ha.

HomerJay

Reaction score
Thanks HomerJay!
Hopefully my subs won't get in the way.

Will we need to access the back while the car is up? I ask only because they have lifts there and I'm afraid of heights. ha.
I don't know how it would work with lifts. I did the work on jack stands. You do need to "seat" the suspension by jacking the suspension so it's raised off the jack stand...at least that's what the service manual says. They didn't have instructions for working on a lift.

Back