Shifter Fell Apart...

Emphasis

Reaction score
Hey guys, 2000 Accord LX Sedan here (Automatic).

So about two days ago, I'm driving home from work, and suddenly my shifter felt loose. Apparently it looks like two screws came out (only found one in that case), and whatever keeps the shifter in place (glue?) might have wore down or something.

The button that you press when changing gears also came loose, and actually sort of flew out once I pressed it after feeling the shifter come loose.
__

I did take some pictures to show the situation. Just wondering how I should go about this. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

img01491h.jpg

img01501.jpg

img01511q.jpg

img01521.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It’s fixable. Just gotta reassemble the parts, put it back on, then tighten the screw. It must have been getting loose for awhile for it to actually fall apart, lol.

EDIT: I don't see the spring in your photos, do you have it? You'll need that...

Last edited:

Emphasis

Reaction score
It’s fixable. Just gotta reassemble the parts, put it back on, then tighten the screw. It must have been getting loose for awhile for it to actually fall apart, lol.

EDIT: I don't see the spring in your photos, do you have it? You'll need that...

I think I did see the spring inside where the shifter button belongs. I'll have to check again for that..

So it is only one screw? Also do you think I actually have to replace anything, or do you think it's just a matter of reassembling?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I think he needs a diagram to tell him how to do it Chris. Hmm, not sure where you can find a diagram to assemble it, but Majestic Honda or any other Honda parts site that has diagrams should be a good start! They show all the pieces making up a certain complex such as a shifter and approximately how they need to go. If you look at a diagram, you can see if you are missing any pieces as well that way you'll know what you need to get to completely fix it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
From what I’m seeing in his pictures, I believe he has everything, Nikita. As long as he has the spring. OP, you could check a parts diagram to be sure. And yes, it's one screw.

My old auto shifter use to come loose from hitting my fist on it when sitting at a stop light listening to music or whatever. Gradually that little screw just comes undone. I took the knob off/apart once just to see how it worked, and put it back together no problem. I think if you just study it, you can reassemble it.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Ah ok cool, must just be me then - I've never dealt with an auto shifter :lawl:.

But the diagrams DO help to assemble stuff if OP is totally clueless on how to do it.. That's mainly what I was trying to get across. He can probably figure it out though, hopefully.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
what... dude. just put it all back together and screw the screw down. mine used to do this all the time until i tightened the hell out of the screw and its forever fixed

Back